FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 4 Keeps Crashing when trying to export

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Severino
Motion 4 Keeps Crashing when trying to export
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:48:55 pm

Okay I have a project due in a few days and the entire closing graphic is done in motion 4. It is a 30 second graphic with a background, particle emitter and some text that flies in and out, all with reflections. I tried roundtripping it into my FCP timeline (DV NTSC Prores 422) and rendering it in the timeline. This causes FCP to Unexpectedly Quit. So I open the project in motion and go to File >export. I select Quicktime Movie and under video settings I have tried the following with no luck:

Uncompressed 8-bit 422 Color+alpha
(output tab) Camera, Lighting, Shadows, Reflections, DOF all checked
Render Quality Best
Motion blur, Frame Blending checked

Prores 4444
(output tab) Camera, Lighting, Shadows, Reflections, DOF all checked
Render Quality Best
Motion blur, Frame Blending checked

I have also tried variations of the two with 32-bit floating point best quality render, and 8-bit render quality normal. I even tried quitting everything, restarting into safe mode > repairing permissions> restarting and resetting the PRAM, having nothing running at all except motion (and then for the last one only compressor and batch monitor) and still got the same results.

All these results have either crashed motion within a few minutes or given me the first 5 seconds rendered and then crashed motion. After doing a little digging in the COW Forums I decided to try File >share: selected Apple ProRes with alpha and clicked "send to compressor" Compressor then launched and started doing its thing and I went to bed. I woke up this morning hoping to sit down to a finished video and compressor had hung up at 18%. Before anyone asks I have the project stored on one scratch disk (with over 600GB available) and have it exporting to another scratch disk (with about 150GB available) both drives are internal and are in good health. My system specs are.

MacPro (early 2008) 3.2GHz 8-core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT (powering 2 x 1920x1080 monitors)
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean install)
Final Cut Studio 3 (the most current one with all the latest installs)

Please let me know what is going on or what I can do to try and solve this. I am really hoping that I don't have to erase and reinstall everything that would be a huge waste of a day and I would have to be up all night to make up for lost time but if that is what it would take that I am even willing to do that. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!
you guys are all so great and have helped me many times in the past. I hope you guys can help me with this problem too. Thank you

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
6GB RAM (2x2GB top; 2x1 GB bottom)
OS X 10.6.1 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6)
Logic Studio (Logic 8)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion 4 Keeps Crashing when trying to export
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:58:39 pm

See what happens when you export out the project at Normal instead of best. I've personally found that you don't need to always use best. Give it a try and see if it works or not.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:19:38 pm

I have on a few different codecs with the same results.

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:29:34 pm

I would trash the preferences. Follow this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1885 If trashing the preferences doesn't work go to the next step in the article.

Another thing to try is to export out certain layers to see if one of the layer is corrupted or something.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:57:04 pm

I just tried the export again, I trashed motion prefs, restarted, changed render settings to normal and changed the export codec to ProRes, Motion still unexpectedly quit.

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:01:51 pm

any other ideas as I am backing up files on my computer?

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:41:01 pm

Hi There,

have you tried fixing your permissions with Disk Utility (fix it twice please once after another). Then restart your computer and re-set parameter P RAM holding CMD +ALT + Letter P+ Letter R on the restart of the computer, let it chime three times please. Then delete the preferences of motion and try rendering again. Also you can try to render your movie as Animation Codec.

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 9:01:46 pm

I have done the repair permissions twice and reset PRAM 3 times when I trashed the motion prefs this last time I ended up with the same result. I am going to do it again and try to export as an image sequence. Also could my graphics card be the issue (due to its lack of power) or does motion not use the graphics card to render like color does.

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:33:07 pm

I exported the project as an Image sequence (TIFF 8-bit with Alpha) and imported the folder into my FCP project. I set all still frames to 1 frame duration and dragged the whole folder into the timeline. I had to render the photos but I did and it looks okay.

I still tried to export as a QT file after that and again motion crashed. I would really like to know what other possibilities it might be because I use motion in almost every project and if I can't export stuff out of motion and I have to create image sequences all the time I am going to be very frustrated. This is the first time I have ever had this problem and I am not sure quite what to do or what is causing it. Please help. Thank you.

14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Apr 30, 2010 at 7:20:43 am

Hi Back,

As I have mentioned in my previous post why don't you try your movie using Animation Codec please.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]