FORUMS: list search recent posts

draping image across topo image

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Eaton
draping image across topo image
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:02:25 pm

I'm just wondering if it is possible to drape an image and animate it to follow the topo of the base image? If so, can anyone point me in some direction, please?
I have 3D topo's galore and want to drape and animate a corporate logo across them.

Crawling back into his hole, ;)

Lawrence

Lawrence Eaton

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
Re: draping image across topo image
on Apr 29, 2010 at 5:54:59 pm

I havent done that specifically but what format are your files in. because you may be able to create that effect with automated object movements if your files can be read by motion

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
6GB RAM (2x2GB top; 2x1 GB bottom)
OS X 10.6.1 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6)
Logic Studio (Logic 8)

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:11:59 pm

Joe, thanks for your reply.

I have all the images in multiple standard formats:
.hmr, JPEG2000, tiff (GEOtiff, TIFF64, tiff), png, dtm, .bil,. I can have any of these rendered out to whichever format I would like.

So you suggest automated object movements?

Thanks for your patience,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Joe Severino
on Apr 29, 2010 at 7:07:01 pm

They would probably have to be QT files for the movie files (if there are any, and Photoshop or PNG or TIFF files (anything that can support an alpha channel, I just find those are the most widely used) and I would use a motion path on the icon (or what ever you want to move along the topo line) and edit the motion path with a b-spline and if you wanted a feel of following the icon (as opposed to a static overhead of the image) I would create that effect by creating a camera layer and using a camera motion path as well.

I am not sure how the 3D topo map will work with motion though or if there is a better file format to keep the 3D of your topo map. Someone will have to help you with that particular question.

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual Quad Core
14GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GT
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
OS X 10.6.3 (Clean Instal)
Final Cut Studio 3 (Clean Instal)
Logic Studio (Clean Instal)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 30, 2010 at 6:50:56 pm

I don't know if Motion 4 came with real 3-d in it, I'm still on v.3.0, but unless it does have true 3-d objects now, I am not sure how you would get the projection to really flow across a contour map. I mean, in 2 and 2.5-d, you can kind of simulate it using blend modes, but I don't see how you'd get the believeable distortions of the topography without at least a displacement map effect. If this were me, I would use Lightwave or, if I had no money, Blender, to set up your topo data and then fly your projections across it, along with a virtual camera in true 3-d space. But this sounds really cool if you can pull it off in Motion alone, and I'd also be interested in how this could be done in Motion only.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 30, 2010 at 8:28:59 pm

No true 3D objects in Motion. You can do drapery type effects with Zaxwerks 3D Flag, and you can export Cinema4D camera, light, and object position data to Motion.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]