FORUMS: list search recent posts

Garbate Matte + Motion Tracker

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Horn
Garbate Matte + Motion Tracker
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:26:35 pm

Hi All -

I am probably thinking about this incorrectly, but was wondering...I am trying to isolate a figure in a video by using a garbage matte. I get it nice and masked in frame 1, but am interested in some automated or semi automated method to keep the matte in place over the duration of the remainder of the video.

I have tried using motion tracker behavior, but results are somewhat unpredictable.

Is this even feasible?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Garbate Matte + Motion Tracker
on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:15:46 pm

Technically you are supposed to be able to use Track Points to track individual control points on your mask to points in your video. In reality that may be a start, but you'll want to turn on Recording and adjust points on a frame by frame basis. Try doing the end, then halfway, then keep splitting the difference.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2010 at 9:16:17 pm

So you want to do something like have a matte around an object like a moving car where the angle changes so doing a motion track and moving just the matte doesn't line up after the angle shifts?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Horn
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:06:05 pm

Yep. I have a figure who is mugging for the camera, want to isolate him from background for some other work. Angle of his body shifts a bit and there are a couple zooms in and out.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:10:59 pm

The Track point behavior can work great depending on the contrast of the clip. As Mark suggested often times it needs to be tweaked but it can save you a lot of time. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Horn
Re: Garbage Matte + Motion Tracker
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:17:13 pm

This seems pretty much a non-starter. I have tried laying out the mask then adding analyze motion with as many trackers as the points in my mask, then track points. The control points seem to find the track points ok, but after analyze it really isn't affecting the mask in any meaningful way. The points seem to jump around, sometimes in what seems to be a meaningful way, other times completely randomly.

To me this looks like a frame by frame point by point adjustment exercise. I am sure I am missing some basic point on motion tracking, track points, or bezier masks.

I see you both have tutorial products, which I would be willing to shell out for as long as they speak at least in part to this specific problem vs some general overview. Otherwise, this is probably too time intensive frame by frame to be useful.

Are there any other tools that handle it better?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:22:35 pm

You are going to have to do it frame by frame.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:36:36 pm

It sounds like this is to complicated for the track points. But I do cover Track Points behavior in my Motion Training DVD. If you watch this Moving with Motion commercial you will see a clip with Mountains with graphics behind it. That was created with Track-points and it turned out fantastic. The Chapter 7: Shapes, Masks, and Track Points tutorial does a great job of explaining the Track Points behavior and how to tweak it. But keep in mind, I'm biased. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Chris Horn
on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:02:18 am

Heh. All bias aside it looks pretty cool. I am an instant gratification guy tho...why no itunes delivery?

Any idea how they did those old commercials with Humphrey Bogart drinking a pepsi? They were doing what I am trying to do, pulling a figure from some piece of video and dropping that figure into another. Is it all armies of frame by frame manual masking?

The Beatles Rock band commercial here is also doing it I think:

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 29, 2010 at 2:38:06 pm

[Chris] why no itunes delivery?

The DVD has over 6 hours of total training plus free HD clips for you to do what you want with. Because of that it is 4GB in size and not easy to download. Besides, if you ordered it yesterday with expedited shipping and handling for about $7 dollars you could have it tomorrow or so. $57 bucks for this DVD is a cheap deal.

But for those more complicated tracking you should look into Mocha. http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mocha/

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]