FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion stabilization

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Black
motion stabilization
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:57:35 pm

Hello,

I have a handheld shot from 10' up a ladder looking straight down on a couple laying on the grass. I didn't have a jib to get the shot, so I thought I could stabilize the shot in post. Well, it turns out after 2 weeks of trying, my results are less than I had hoped. This is for a festival submission, so the projected image will probably be 2k on a fairly large screen... so it has to look as good as possible. I've tried everything I can think of in MOTION, but I'm out of ideas. I don't think I could even begin to list all of the ways I've tried to do this. If there's anyone out there that is willing to take a section of my clip and give it a go, then tell me their results, I'd sure appreciate it. I'd be more than happy to upload a bit of it for any takers. Maybe MOTION is the wrong software to attempt this. Let me know what information I can offer so you can advise me on this.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: motion stabilization
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:08:14 pm

What is the format of your footage? How much shake is there in the original footage? What have you tried?

Motion stabilization is not that tricky as far as the workflow. Select the clip and apply the behavior Stabilize from the Motion Tracking section.

Then either use tracking points or track a region of the frame. Analyze the clip and use the zoom feature to blow the image up to cover the movement of the edges.

You can also try the smooth feature in the same behavior to smooth out jerky cam footage to help it look more like a jib move.

Andy

Return to posts index

Tyler Black
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:49:55 pm

I’ll do my best to recall the processes that I’ve tried.

I ‘m working in Motion 3. I’m using 4k RED One footage which will be projected 2k… plenty of room for stabilization.

I have tried simply applying “stabilization” to the shot.
I tried taking the results of the above effort, rendered that into another clip, and ran that 2nd clip through “stabilize” again.
I tried taking a still of the first frame and put it on layer one. Then on layer two I put my shaky shot. I applied a “match move” to the shaky shot using markers placed on the still. You would think the shaky shot would try to hold the markers on their points… but they floated way off.
I tried, 1, 2, and 3 tracking markers on a “stabilize” behavior.
I tried doing a four-corner pin with “mimic source.”
I even tried manually adjusting each of the four corners to match the still underneath and placed key frames every 6 frames.
I tried “stabilize” and “smooth.”

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:03:31 pm

Any way of posting the clip?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:28:16 pm

What were the results of your attempts? No stabilization at all? Glitches or other unexplained behavior? Based on your explanation of the shot, I'm having a hard time understanding why you're having such a problem.

Perhaps, as Stephen suggested, you could post 5-10 seconds of the shot?

Andy

Return to posts index

Tyler Black
on May 3, 2010 at 10:47:59 pm

I will be glad to offer the shot to anyone that wants to take a crack at it. Contact me at tylerb@bokehfv.com and I will email you a link to the shot.

Thank you for your interest.

Return to posts index

Kael Beverly
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:55:54 am

I just bought Motion 5 but I don't have the Stabilize Behavior in the Motion Tracking Folder. It has Analyze and 4 others but not Stabilize. How do I get stabilize so that I can fix a shaky image?

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:38:28 pm

Motion 5 only has 4 behaviors in the motion tracking group. Can you tell us exactly what you are seeing.
I have: Analyze Motion, Match Move, Stabilize and Unstabilize. What behaviors do you see?

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]