FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video elements disappear from viewer

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynette Gilbert
Video elements disappear from viewer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:38:00 pm

So I have this project in Motion 2.2 that I'm working on where I have about 20 video clips that are scrolling across the screen (with other stuff going on - backgrounds, other layers, etc.) I build the whole thing (very simply - I mark two keyframes in the layer, one at the first frame, one at the last, and just change the position.) It works great - and then when I change an element (substitute one clip for another, lengthen or shorten the clip in the time line, have one clip scale up), all the video disappears. Oh, it's in the time line. And sometimes I get the little outline on the screen. But the video doesn't show up in the viewer. Even if I exit Motion and go back in, elements are missing from the viewer, even though they show that they're active (the little box is checked, the file is NOT grayed out) and in the timeline.

If I try to export it as a .mov or import the project into FCP, the elements are still missing.

This is the third project in which I've tried to do this, and every time this has happened. I gave up on the other projects, but I received specific instructions that THIS is what the current project NEEDS to be.

Is this a glitch in 2.2? I'm upgrading to Final Cut Studio 3 next week - I'm hoping that it will work when I get there. But in the meantime, I've got supervisors who need to be assured that yes, this WILL work.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Video elements disappear from viewer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:10:51 pm

The functionality works fine in general. There's something wrong with your particular set up. It's been a long time since I've touched Motion 2, so my advice is to wait for the upgrade.

However, I would definitely rebuild the project and not rely on Motion to update the project from 2 to 4. 'Porting projects created in different versions can have issues and since you're already having trouble, it's probably better to just start from scratch.

Might I also suggest that you look into behaviors instead of keyframes since you seem to be making lots of changes to the project. Behaviors can make all the moves you described and they're applied like a layer so you can adjust the speed and length of the effect just by trimming.

Andy

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
Re: Video elements disappear from viewer
on Apr 23, 2010 at 2:36:04 am

Great - thanks! I'll do a mock-up and then build the project in the new version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]