FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looping movie

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Voltmer
Looping movie
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:24:17 pm

I am trying to do a simple looping movie in Motion and export it to compressor and then to DVD studio pro. But the final playback is always just once then it stops. What do I do?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Looping movie
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:32:54 pm

Umm- is this a Motion or a DVDSP question then? To make a loop in DVDSP you set the loop property in the track inspector back to the same track. That's in your manual btw. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Steve Voltmer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:42:47 pm

I was asking how to do it in Motion. If you do it in DVDSP it stops the clip hesitates and plays it again. I need more of a smooth continuation. And BTW I was thrown into using this app with no experience and no manual that I can find. I know... there is probably one online. :)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 22, 2010 at 2:56:42 pm

In the behavior section under Retiming there is a loop behavior, or you can go to the Properties tab and under timing you can choose an End Condition such as loop. There are more ways but that is the easiest to explain. By the way, when you add the End Condition Loop you need to increase the duration of the clip, you will see a little line the indicates where the loop starts.

Here is the manual: http://documentation.apple.com/en/motion/usermanual/

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Steve Voltmer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:07:01 pm

Thanks, but I am trying to loop the entire project, not just one of the objects within the project. Is there a way to loop the whole Motion project?

Return to posts index

John Capune
on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:06:23 pm

Hmmm. I tried to apply the retiming behavior to an object that had throw previously applied and it wouldn't apply the loop behavior. Now, when I made a clone of the object it would allow me applied the loopbehavior but now my object won't move. This is like my second project in Motion 5, so I don't know much. Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:46:46 pm

[John Capune] " I tried to apply the retiming behavior to an object that had throw previously applied and it wouldn't apply the loop behavior."

Here's what I'd suggest.

Make your source layer with the throw behavior into a group if it isn't already. Clone the group and then inside the new group change the Timing/End Condition of the new clone layer to Loop and on the timeline drag out the clone layer as long as you want the loop to last.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:24:07 pm

[Steve Voltmer] "I was asking how to do it in Motion."

You don't. All looping DVD menus have this problem, regardless of whether they're made in Motion, AE, Smoke, Quantel, etc. It's the way DVDs work. It takes a second or 2 for the laser to find it's way back to the beginning of the loop.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:25:35 pm

The glitch is a problem with the DVD media -- not Motion. Best you can do is work with what you have to minimize it as much as possible.

Considering DVDs were designed to play up to 2 hours of video, place your entire motion project into a timeline in Final Cut Pro. Copy and paste the sequence as many times as it takes to go to two hours. (The benefit here is that you can set up a nice, smooth transition between loops if you want.)

Export the Final Cut project out as a QuickTime reference movie, place that into DVD Studio, and set its end condition to loop back on itself.

In the end, you'll have a two-hour long video of your sequence looping seamlessly, over and over. At the end, you'll have a inevitable slight pause as the DVD head seeks and repositions itself to the beginning, but that will only happen once every two hours.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:32:39 pm

Okay, I just compress the movie that I built. I make sure it naturally ends the way it starts. I bring the mpg2 video into DVD studio pro as many times as I can. There is a gage that tells you when you are getting full. That way I only compress I five minute video instead of a hour long one. Set it to loop in DVDSp and you will only have the 2 second lag once an hour as it loops throughout the day. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 22, 2010 at 3:38:50 pm

I typically get around this with design- make a video with a longer time until it loops- say a minute and then create a video track with that 2 or 3 instances of looping so that you have a 3 minute loop. Then no one is likely to ever even see the loop. Or begin and end with a fade to black- that way no one sees the loop because it's in black silence.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Steve Voltmer
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:13:06 pm

Thanks, Everyones suggestions helped. I really needed to extend one of the stock movies of the fire bloom, but I just ended up ping-ponging it and copying the movie over and over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]