FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field rendering problem in FCP when embedding Motion project

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
Field rendering problem in FCP when embedding Motion project
on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:51:26 pm

I've just started using embedding to send clips from FCP to Motion - previously I've sent the whole sequence, then exported the finished product as a QuickTime which I re-imported into FCP.

I work exclusively with film-sourced material in PAL, and so I do all my motion graphics with field rendering switched off in Motion - I hate it when you see field-rendered motion graphics incorporated with or composited onto filmic video, I think it looks tacky. Ditto I hate it when people use speed ramps on filmic footage but leave frame blending on; for the duration of the ramp, your lovely filmic material suddenly looks like video. But I digress :)

The problem I've got is that when I play the embedded Motion projects in the FCP timeline, they are field-rendered, even though I had field rendering switched off in Motion itself. Is there any way to make FCP respect the field rendering setting in Motion, or do I just have to go back to exporting the finished projects from Motion and re-importing them to FCP?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Field rendering problem in FCP when embedding Motion project
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:14:08 pm

Just check the properties of the .motn project inside FCP (Command-9) and verify if indeed field rendering is turned on - if so, you should be able to turn off right there.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:33:30 pm

Hi Mark,

There's no field rendering option. There's field dominance, which you can change between None, Not Set, Upper or Lower, but setting it to None or Not Set does not switch off field rendering.

I can apply a deinterlace filter to the .motn project, but there doesn't seem to be a way to toggle field rendering in FCP otherwise.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 19, 2010 at 12:49:59 am

Did you set your field dominance to None in Motion? That's what I usually do.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]