FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proficiency in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pettygrove
Proficiency in Motion
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:15:49 pm

Motion 4 -- Where or how do I get the training/information that I need to become proficient enough to make a reel or add more professional looking graphics to my editing reel? I've gone through the Lynda.com "essential training" and learned a little. I've not yet progressed to more than doing lower thirds and some simple tittle animations, I feel like I need more hands on. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have learned how to use all the other programs in Final Cut Studio, so I hope I can eventually use Motion too.

OTB Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Proficiency in Motion
on Apr 15, 2010 at 9:57:41 pm

Drain Marc Spencer's web site of every morsel, then buy every book or training DVD he produces.

Return to posts index

Michael Pettygrove
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:41:19 am

Thanks for the referral. I perused his site briefly and it looks vast, very cool... I'll dig into it!

OTB Mike

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:21:23 am

Also just practice- I've never read a Motion book or taken a class but just learned by making projects and also reading through the manual. It's about as intuitive as they sorts of applications get once you understand how it does things.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael Pettygrove
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:00:39 pm

Thanks Noah, I can sometimes miss the obvious.

OTB Mike

Return to posts index

Thomas Imbrigiotta
on Apr 16, 2010 at 2:14:37 pm

From my experience the best way to learn is trial by fire. I've learned almost everything I know by having a demanding client sitting behind me. That client will ask you to do things you have no idea how to do. When you come through for them in the clutch there's no way you're going to forget that technique. I've done the training books and online tutorials (and they're great for helping with general knowledge and some cool techniques) but there's simply no substitute for the real thing.

Try recording some cool TV commercials. Then pick some effect or transition, etc.. that you liked and give yourself an hour or two to try and match it. Then go in and see what else you can add or change to make it more interesting/functional. I've built up quite a "library" using this method. Clients love it when they can see 5-10 pre-made concepts.

This site always inspires me to get better: http://www.watchthetitles.com/

T.J. Imbrigiotta
Envision Communications, Inc.
Washington DC
http://envisioncommunicationsinc.com

Mac Pro
2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
6GB RAM
AJA Kona LHe
OS 10.6.2

Return to posts index

Michael Pettygrove
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:06:50 pm

Thanks T.J. It seems that the practical advice is often the answer. I started looking for samples this morning... BTW love the site, lots of talent there!

OTB Mike

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on May 14, 2010 at 9:15:56 am

I think the book which apple has for accredited classes is excellent

the new book is very good for starting out and the previous motion3 book is great for a nice explantion of 3d compositing

i did a podcast on motion in the creativecow final cut pro podcast, see if thats useful

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]