FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please critique and advise on these two very short (6s) motion effects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roli Rivelino
Please critique and advise on these two very short (6s) motion effects
on Apr 15, 2010 at 12:08:01 pm

I'm trying to build a dice in motion (thanks guys for the advice on my previous posting) and I'm doing OK, but I'm having trouble making the squares all match up, also I find if I add too much spin to the cube it seems to distort the squares; I was wondering is that the spin effect or just that I haven't got them totally square?

Anyway I was wondering if someone could have a look at it and give me a bit of criticism/advice.

I only turned on Motion a week ago, so if you are going to give technical advice, please bare that in mind, here's the link http://vimeo.com/10948939.

Also this one, when I did it in Motion the letters started off screen, but when I export it they start at the side of the screen, just wondering what I have to do to make sure they start from off screen.
http://vimeo.com/10949030

And lastly is hitting save then dragging the icon into my FCP bin fine or should I be saving it in a certain way before exporting to FCP?

Many thanks

aka Newbie Wan Kenewbie. "The young Newbie, is now a Padawon."

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Thomas Imbrigiotta
Re: Please critique and advise on these two very short (6s) motion effects
on Apr 15, 2010 at 2:15:11 pm

Not a bad start. Nice work. It does looks like you've got a little bit of overlap. If you're seeing distortion at high speeds it could be a bunch of things. If you're still in Motion (when the distorting occurs) make sure you create a RAM Preview (Command + R) before critiquing.

For the logo you may have been zoomed into your canvas when you set your initial letter positions. Click in the canvas window and then press Shift + Z. This will automatically fit your canvas in your window. You can also click in the canvas and type Command & + or Command & - to zoom in or out. I believe these shortcuts work throughout all FCP Studio software.

T.J. Imbrigiotta
Envision Communications, Inc.
Washington DC
http://envisioncommunicationsinc.com

Mac Pro
2 x 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
6GB RAM
AJA Kona LHe
OS 10.6.2

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 15, 2010 at 3:03:34 pm

Roli,
Its looking good. I can't watch frame by frame in Vimeo or I don't know how. Anyways, at 00:09 you can see the blue square on top and you can see it is inside the cube a little. You will need to adjust it a little to make sure it lines up. You can put your camera in perspective mode and rotate around the cube with out effecting your active camera so you can see the cube better.

Also, I would make it rotate a little less.

Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Apr 15, 2010 at 6:20:54 pm

Cool, thanks guys, I think the overlapping with the squares is happening because I started adjusting them, they started off as the same size but I don't think I got them totally square to begin with.

Any tips on how best to make sure they're perfect squares and to know how big they are, therefore being able to push the Z axis of the anchor point exactly half way back?

I don't like to use the built in one because you can't seem to change the colour and so I end up getting confused as I'm building the cube.

As for the letters I thought I was zoomed out when I set them and I set them off the page, but I'll try again and make sure I do RAM previews from now.

thanks again

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:15:12 am

You may want to check out my tutorial on building 3D objects in Motion.

3D Cityscape

In it, I use a trick that helps keep the shapes aligned by using a replicator for 4 of the 6 walls. Also, edge intersection in Motion has gotten better, but you can cheat a bit by adding a small amount of outline to your squares.

Also, when you create your 1st square initially, hold down the SHIFT key to constrain the shape to a perfect square. You can also go into the geometry section of the shape and adjust the control point numbers to even numbers (provided the position for the shape is 0,0 in the properties tab). That will allow you to use math to line up the remaining 2 squares for your cube. I go into that a bit in the tutorial.

Andy

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:06:25 am

Excellent, that's just what I needed, Cheers Andy.

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index