FORUMS: list search recent posts

My bezier arrow needs the cloaking device turned off?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
My bezier arrow needs the cloaking device turned off?
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:38:53 pm

So I built this 3D scene in motion 3, consisting of a flat photoshop based grid B.G., some State of IL shapes made in PS and imported, a logo and then I am animating some red and green moving arrows. I draw the line with the bezier pen tool, I get this curved green arrow and path I can keyframe and see while in perspective view, looks like what I want but no matter what I try I can't get it to be visible in ACTIVE CAMERA view like the red one is. Red one is visible in all views. I kind of stumbled my way into making the red arrow work but don't really know the steps I took to make it. The green arrow is my problem right now.

When In PERSPECTIVE view I can rotate the scene and see the line I drew is too far behind the camera in z-space, so I move it using the z space controls and it *looks* from various perspective views like it is in the right place. It just remains invisible in the active camera view. I tried promoting the layer with the arrow path to different positions in the layer stack, no effect. I can see a bounding box and its placement looks correct, but the arrow stays hidden.

I am going to be making a LOT of these arrows for this spot, what am I missing and is there a more efficient way to create these splined arrows where they are all in the same plane to start with?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: My bezier arrow needs the cloaking device turned off?
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:40:54 pm

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:45:29 pm

Mark if your background's position is say 0,0,0. Then make sure your arrows Z position is 0 or higher. If you have a camera that is no longer at 0,0,0 and you add a shape the shapes position will not be 0,0,0 to accommodate the different camera position. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:44:37 pm

If you select your red arrow, go to the Properties tab of the Inspector, then drag the Position parameter (drag right on the word Position) over onto your green arrow, it will move to be in the exact same place as your red arrow. If you drag Rotation, it will also be oriented the same. You can drag the word Transform to apply position, rotation, and scale all at once. That should get you started.

Another trick: in the active camera view, draw a quick rectangle - it will be framed by the camera. Then drag the Position and Rotation parameters (you can select both at once) for the rectangle onto your layer that is "lost in space" - it will then be frame by the camera.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:58:29 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys, I'll try it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]