FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unrolling a blueprint in Motion 3?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Unrolling a blueprint in Motion 3?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:16:49 pm

Some days I never want to leave my old Pinnacle Alladin; it can do this effect very realistically in about 5 seconds. But I need to build this effect in Motion 3, to cover the transition between tho segments of a show:

Basically I need an alpha wipe element of a blueprint unrolling, as if across a table. I can make the blueprint textures in photoshop, but getting the unrolling tubular page-peel effect in Motion 3 has me stumped at the moment.

Any hints? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Unrolling a blueprint in Motion 3?
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:20:46 pm

Can you grab Cinema4D instead? That would look better in 3D...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:24:39 pm

No, I got a creaky old copy of Lightwave elsewhere, but this is really a 2-d effect done with warping, it is cake to do with the Alladin DVE which is 80's technology; surely, it should be possible in motion3 ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:36:36 pm

Just found Stephen's combo LiveType/FCP page peel tutorial video, and I think this will sorta work for my needs, I just think it is weird this is not a canned effect in Motion 3 already...

Anyhow, I still have LiveType in my suite, so I think I can make this work, unless a better idea comes along...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:47:49 pm

You should totally grab C4D- it's nicely integrated with FCP and very simple to use. And 3D looks cool on your projects...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:33:59 pm

(checks pockets, pulls out their insides to show they are empty)

I'll take it under advisement and look at some demos of it. Our procurement situation for new software here is decidedly unlikely near-term. I'm more likely though to pick up a free copy of Blender, or play with the free vesion of Sketch-Up. And I should re-familiarize myself with the Lightwave we still have here.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:35:34 pm

Oh, and for what we do here most, what I have on the wishlist is the full-on version of Zaksworks. That I can totally see putting to use weekly.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:46:28 pm

Yeah I always found Lightwave to be a horribly esoteric user interface- but many swear by it. I'm not a 3D expert at all but I found C4D easy enough to pick up and it's paid for itself on the first 3D-only gig I did. Zaxwerks is excellent for one-thing- automated 3D logos and titles. Still I think you get 50% of what it can do already with Motion and L/T... YMMV.

Noah

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:38:30 pm

LOL! Whenever I see someone post in the Motion forum about anything even remotely related to 3D, before I even open the thread I ask, "I wonder what program Noah is going to tell them they should be using instead of Motion."

And I LOL every time, cause you never let me down. ;-)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:20:27 pm

[Mark Petereit] ""I wonder what program Noah is going to tell them they should be using instead of Motion.""

Haw- well I'd do the same in AFX. Many folks don't realize that massive gulf between 2.5D and 3D.

Noah

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:40:06 pm

Most people think of it that way, however, there's a number of ways to use Zaxwerkes OTHER than just for extruded logos. I used to use an awesome little app on the PC called Crystal 3-D Impact Pro, which was a simplified version of TOPAS with canned moves and no keyframing. Most folks just used THAT for spinning extruded 3-d logos as well, however, I would up using it for things like creating virtual sets and modeling complex scenes in 3-d. Once you start tryoing things like mapping targa frames to the surfaces, you can start doing things like artificial set extensions and etc. Really your imagination is the main limiting factor.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 8, 2010 at 6:18:48 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Really your imagination is the main limiting factor."

Well that and your wallet...

Noah

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:57:07 pm

This is what I would do:
Build my blue print or yank the one from LiveType, but it is only SD. In Motions Content there is a Grid.png image. Put that on a blue color solid or shape.

Next, create a rectangle above the group with the Grid and color solid. Make the rectangle the size of the blue print rolled up. Ad a gradient to give it depth. Animate it from one side of the screen to the other. Add a mask to your group that has the grid and color solid in it. Animate the mask so it reveals the paper as the rectangle moves from one side of the screen to the other. It can look really cool. Hope this helps and best of luck.

You may want to look at the Free Alpha Transitions (Graph Paper) that can be downloaded here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Alpha_Transitions

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]