FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Talk Soup" motion background

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Feliu
"Talk Soup" motion background
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:04:54 pm

I have a rather specific request that I'm having problems with. I've recently been given the task of creating a motion background for a green screen show. They're wanting it to look exactly like the old "Talk Soup" background. Here's an example:

My current company has Final Cut Studio 3 with Motion 4. I haven't used Motion in years and have no clue how to go about doing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: "Talk Soup" motion background
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:20:32 pm

Frankly I'd recommend hiring someone with some motion graphics experience to design it for you - nobody is going to be able to give you a step-by-step to create a project from scratch. Or if you have time, work through some tutorials or books on Motion to learn how to use the program.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Feliu
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:09:59 pm

I'm not in need of step by step instructions and I know my way around Motion just fine. It has just been a minute and I'm unfamiliar with the new version. I was simply looking for a nudge in the right direction. The Apple Pro Training book for Motion 4 is in the mail. Just looking for a more direct answer.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 8, 2010 at 12:02:53 am

Okay, sorry if I sounded harsh - just sounded like you were very new to Motion...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:22:49 pm

I think you could build this in FCP or Motion. I would do it in Motion. To make the bowl you could use the circle shape tool. Add a gradient. Then add two more circle shapes, one for the inner bowl and one for the black circle in the bowl. If you don't want to do that I bet you could buy one on istockphoto for 10 bucks. Take some pictures of spoons. Add the Colorize filter and turn to bright colors. Add a slight rotation and then have them dissolve in and out in random places. Change the background color to white. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:26:53 pm

Okay, so many some kind soul WILL give you a step-by-step :-)

That would be a good start - to get the elements to animate "exactly like" the Talk Soup background will take some more work...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Andrew Feliu
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:17:20 pm

I think we've all been in a situation where we've spent many hours throwing something together only to find out there was a much simpler way. Motion has a lot of toys and I'd hate to kill an afternoon only to later find out I could have used a built in graphic to complete the project. A bit more fun to figure it out, but not nearly as efficient.

Return to posts index

Andrew Feliu
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:12:29 pm

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2010 at 2:12:57 pm

Something Stephen taught me leads me to think you can maybe speed up your proces in re-creating this look by re-purposing certain canned content in Motion. Look up the "bokeh" effect in Motion 3 for instance, then use the image source replace function to swap the round object with say, a png file of the silhouette of a spoon. From there it is a matter of blend mode selection and colorizing to get you at least part of your way there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]