FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem Reconnecting Media In Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Hall
Problem Reconnecting Media In Motion
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:11:10 pm

Hi All,

(A caveat to start: I am not a Motion expert but I know a thing or two, the basics shall we say)

So I am doing a re-edit on a spot here at work. The trouble is an outside producer did the first cut. I received a hard drive containing the project and for the most part it was all in order, except he had done some rearranging of the drive and had not reconnected all of the media within Motion.

2 video clips (1 in each Motion project) needed to be connected.

I located the clips easily enough, the trouble is that now that they are reconnected for some God awful reason they only appear as a still image in the canvas, like a freeze frame.

The media in the media tab seems to be fine, it plays.

But in the layers, even though it is specified as a movie clip, it sits as a still image.

I know for sure that these ARE supposed to play because I have a rough .mov file of the first editor's cut and the motion files worked fine then.

I am really looking for a way to NOT have to rebuild these motion projects myself.

One of them I could handle if I needed to but the other is a little beyond my skill level. Really looking to just get these clips reconnected properly.

HELP!

Calrification: If it helps to better understand this the major project in question goes like this;
a shot of a woman using a vacuum - transition into a 3D animation - transition out of 3D Animation - back to woman using vacuum.

The animation and transitions are working. The trouble is the woman with the vacuum at the head and tail, her clips sits as a still image, and it shouldn't.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Problem Reconnecting Media In Motion
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:16:07 pm

When you select the layer for the movie and go to the Properties inspector, what does it say in the Timing section? Perhaps there is a Hold end condition applied, or keyframes, or a time value change?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:42:46 pm

If there is just some weird connection thing going on, you might be able to work around it.

Re-import the video clip into the same group as current video. Then drag any adjusted parameters (ie: Transform, Blend Modes, etc.) from the broken video onto the newly imported video. You should be able to quickly replace the broken linked video with proper moving video.

On the subject of the problem:

I've seen issues like this before. Usually it happens when an FCP project has been media managed and the clips that were sent to Motion have been trimmed. The media start/end times on the trimmed media no longer matches what Motion recalls, so even when you reconnnect the clip, you get a still image instead of moving video. I wonder if that is what happened to you.

Andy

Return to posts index

Evan Hall
on Mar 30, 2010 at 7:07:39 pm

Thanks for this idea. I am going to try this and I appreciate the explanation.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]