FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long RAM Previews

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Haensler
Long RAM Previews
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:43:52 pm

Hey Everyone. I just got a contract to create a bunch of mograph content for a DS network and I'm doing most of the work in Motion. I'm working in 1080 HD and am experiencing long RAM Preview renders. I have a menu board loop with a motion bg and a spinning logo with everything else stationary. It's 172 frames and is taking upwards of 4 minutes to render a realtime preview. Also, any changes I make however miniscule mean a total re render of the entire project. I'm working on an Octocore machine with 5 gigs of RAM and an AJA Kona card. Is this usual or is there something I need to look at to speed things up. I trashed prefs but didn't see any improvement in render times. Thanks for any help.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Long RAM Previews
on Mar 24, 2010 at 4:56:17 pm

I'll assume you are rendering RAM previews because you aren't able to get realtime playback and you want to test and tweak your animation.

Have you tried dropping down both the Quality and the Resolution levels (both found under the Render pop-up menu in Motion 4)?

Are you outputting through the Kona card to view on an external monitor? That will kill realtime playback and may affect preview renders as well

There are other things you can do to improve playback performance (like turning off thumbnails in the Layers tab and soloing layers) but it sounds like your main issue is ram previews.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:37:01 pm

[Mark Spencer] "I'll assume you are rendering RAM previews because you aren't able to get realtime playback and you want to test and tweak your animation. "

That's correct Mark, and thanks for the quick response. Playback on this project for some reason is deathly slow at 1 frame every 2 seconds. I just did a quick test project with some 3d templates and it played back fine with no rendering. Must be something about this project. Baffling....

I tried all of your suggestions and nothing helped BTW.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Mar 25, 2010 at 3:10:55 am

Do you have a lot of Motion text layers in the project? That can bog things down. Particle emitters? Lots of blur filters?

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:10:54 am

Tons of text layers. It's a menu board for a DS network.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:18:19 pm

That's the cause, then.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:24:51 pm

Thanks for your help Mark. I've been checking out your site and blog. I'll be buying your DVD next week. Thanks again.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]