FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Menu Creation

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Mendoza
DVD Menu Creation
on Mar 14, 2010 at 3:35:37 pm

Hi all!

I have a newbie question, I'm starting to learn Motion 3 and I was wondering if the software was good or just ok for dvd menu creation?

I know I can do that in DVD Studio Pro but I don't necessarily use the software since I export everything in post houses.

If Motion isn't the software for creating dvd menus, which software is recommended? I know photoshop is good for it, but in comparison to Motion is it better?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: DVD Menu Creation
on Mar 14, 2010 at 3:42:35 pm

Motion is fantastic for creating DVD menus for DVD Studio Pro. In fact, you can import a Motion project itself directly into DVDSP and apply it as a menu. You just need to create your overlay file as normal, but you can create that in Motion as well and export it as a still image. Also, you can set your DVDSP loop point directly in Motion using a marker that DVDSP recognizes. The Peachpit Motion books and my Fast Forward training DVD covered this subject in detail

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Miguel Mendoza
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:24:54 pm

Good to know!

But what if I just want to use Motion for the dvd menu creation? Say I have my dvd menu done with Motion and is saved in a file in my external hard drive, along with my final project file locked in final cut and just hand it to a post house to export it onto a dvd? That would work?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:48:47 pm

[Miguel Mendoza] " Say I have my dvd menu done with Motion and is saved in a file in my external hard drive, along with my final project file locked in final cut and just hand it to a post house to export it onto a dvd? That would work?"

That's a question for the post house.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Mar 14, 2010 at 4:56:54 pm

Assuming you export it to the proper format and include the overlay file, I don't see why not...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:13:13 pm

Yeah- just check with the post house. But yes of course unless they're in some incredibly rigid proprietary workflow there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to give them a format from Motion they could use as source media for a motion menu.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Miguel Mendoza
on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:56:34 pm

Thx guys, will start working on it by this week!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]