FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mask Effect to make person disappear

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olaf steel
Mask Effect to make person disappear
on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:14:25 pm

Hi,

I am trying to make a person disappear from a shot as if they have turned into pixels and then exploded and faded away.
The shot is a crane shot, so there is some motion, and the person that I want to disappear is also moving.

I have not used Apple Motion before, only Final Cut Pro, so I am completely new to using a third party effects app along side FCP, therefore I know little to nothing about how to use the software.

There is another shot I want to do something similar in, however in this shot, the person is supposed to appear and piece together pixel by pixel, as if the pixels from the first shot have dispersed, and then recollected in another location to reform the same person.
The complication in this shot is that there are people in the forground and backgroud, some of them are in front of the person I want to make appear.

If you have any tips on how I can achieve these effects, I would be very grateful. Keep in mind I am new to Motion.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Mask Effect to make person disappear
on Mar 12, 2010 at 7:50:31 pm

Let's see the shots- otherwise it's hard to recommend a solution.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Mar 12, 2010 at 8:28:55 pm

Check out some of Andrew Kramer's tutorials on VideoCopilot.net. Though his tutorials are for After Effects, the concepts will still apply.

From your description, it sounds like you're dealing with the absolute worst-case scenario: a moving subject, a moving camera and moving background objects. You'll most likely have to rotoscope your subject by hand, a task that will be VERY daunting due to interframe motion blur. And even if you can cut a clean mask, you'll have to figure out what you'll put in the "hole" he leaves when you mask him out.

Just so you know (in case you're asked to do this again in the future), this scene should have been shot in two different takes. The first would have been a shot of everything BUT your disappearing man.

The second shot would have been of ONLY your disappearing man, shot against green-screen, with the camera moves matched exactly to the previous shot.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:50:33 pm

I'm assuming that you shot this with motion control, and there's a 2nd take with a clean plate.

In which case, you'd rotoscope the person out of the background, apply the pixel explosion and lay it over the clean plate.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:43:38 pm

[Arnie Schlissel] "I'm assuming that you shot this with motion control, and there's a 2nd take with a clean plate.

In which case, you'd rotoscope the person out of the background, apply the pixel explosion and lay it over the clean plate."

Oh riiiight- I'm sure that's what he's got. :)

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

olaf steel
on Mar 12, 2010 at 11:01:12 pm

Thanks for your help everyone.

I do not have any of that. I have not shot anything twice, there is no blue screen. All thats there are the two shots of the person I want to make disappear in one shot, and then reappear in the other.

While the tutorials you directed me to were very interesting, they had all those elements that I am missing.

How can I send you the clips so that you can take a look?

I realize that what I'm trying to do is near impossible and very time consuming as I have not gone about this in the correct way, however anything you can suggest that would make this look half decent would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 13, 2010 at 12:25:51 am

When you respond to this post you will see a little film camera button. Click on that and that allows you to embed a video into your post.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 13, 2010 at 1:14:01 am

But make it into a very small H.264 at quarter res first- otherwise it will take forever.

Noah

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 13, 2010 at 3:06:46 am

[olaf steel] "I do not have any of that. I have not shot anything twice"

Well, that's a problem. You have to have something to replace the person with. You might be able to clone background in from other shots, but it's a lot of work and may not be all that clean.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:14:05 am

Way to swing for the fences on your first Motion project... :-)

I just hope you don't get frustrated with Motion trying to pull of this incredibly difficult FX shot (difficult because there was apparently no pre-production thought put into it).

My advice is to temper your expectations. With what you describe, even an experienced Motion or AE user might not be able to pull it off convincingly.

If I was given this shot, I would probably want shake or combustion or nuke to pull this off, not Motion.

Andy

Return to posts index

olaf steel
on Mar 16, 2010 at 9:51:21 pm

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone. I realized that what I was attempting to do is far too difficult for someone with my level of competence with 3rd party effects editing apps to accomplish, so I have given up on those ambitions, and kept things simple.

Thank you once again for all your help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2010 at 6:59:33 pm

Actually, I would not do the effect you want in Motion, not under the circumstances you describe. Instead, render out the shot from yuor timeline as an image sequence of high quality stills, say, in tif or targa format. Take that folder of shots into Photoshop and hand-paint your guy out using some of the particle type filters in photoshop as well as the cloning tools in photoshop, to replace the background hole after removing the actor.

This will not be fast or fun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]