FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems going from FCP to Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynette Gilbert
Problems going from FCP to Motion
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:11:58 pm

I am putting together a highlight reel for a client. Their video was shot in 16:9 but the DVD they gave me (the only footage they have) is at 640x480, so it is very distorted and difficult to see the number on the player's jersey. Therefore, I made the settings 720x480 and clicked the Anamorphic 16:9 to make it the correct aspect ratio.

When I put it into Motion, I keep the settings at 720x480, but when I put it back into FCP, it is all distorted again with black vertical bars on either side of the video. (In Motion it is not distorted.)

Also, in order to highlight the player, I need to put in a freeze frame because the video is very jumpy, and I would have to track the highlight (an inverted mask) to keep the player in the frame. In each sequence I have about ten different clips, so ten different freeze frames. However, when I put the video with the freeze frames into Motion, it is the same freeze frame in front of every clip, not the freeze frame that corresponds with each clip, so I cannot line up the mask correctly.

If I make the mask without using the video as a guide in Motion, I have no problem. If I use the video as a guide but then delete it, after making the masks, I still get the distortion.

My question is: What the HECK am I doing wrong? I've never gotten video to successfully export between Motion and FCP, and I've always managed to figure out a different way around putting the video clips into Motion. But this time I have to do it unless I want to spend 20 hours going back and forth positioning the mask over the player.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Problems going from FCP to Motion
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:22:49 pm

I'm confused. How did they shoot in 16:9, but give you video that is 640X480. Is it letter boxed

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Mar 2, 2010 at 9:38:14 pm

It's been anamorphically fitted into 640x480. So the sides are squished in and makes everyone look really tall and skinny.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:29:26 pm

Ohh ok.

Bring it into FCP and make it look right. Then go to File > Export > Quicktime Movie and export a self contained movie with current settings. Then work from that new file - bring it into FCP and Send to Motion or bring it directly into Motion first, whichever you prefer

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:39:28 am

THANK YOU!!

I edit every single day and usually do brand new things with every project.

I only post to Creative Cow when I truly am stuck.

And yet every time I walk away feeling like a TOTAL moron because it's usually something so unbelievably simple!

This OF COURSE worked. I don't know what is wrong with me for not even thinking of this. I think I was so hung up on little details ...

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :-)

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:37:13 am

I know what you mean. It's always the little, simple things that get us. Happens to everyone. Glad it worked out though

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]