FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with simple effect?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Voltmer
Help with simple effect?
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:37:54 pm

I only use FCP occasionally and am not sure how to create the effect of type that just pulses on an off. Is there any easy way to achieve this?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Help with simple effect?
on Mar 2, 2010 at 6:58:44 pm

Yes, this is easy to do in Motion and can be done many different ways. I think a very easy way to do it is add your text, select it and the go to the Library Tab. click on Behaviors, Text Sequence, Text-Continuous, Intermittent. Click on the Apply button or drag the behavior onto the text. Take a look at all of the Text Behaviors to get an idea of what Motion can do very quickly with text. If you want more ideas on how to achieve this effect let me know. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Steve Voltmer
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:12:09 pm

I have everything except "Text-Continious" in my behaviors

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 2, 2010 at 7:37:50 pm

Oh, sorry, I'm on Motion 4. I thought there was a behavior like it in Motion 3 but here is another way to do it: For a good example go to the Library tab, Content. Gadgets, Vacuum Tube. Notice how it's glow comes in and out. That is because it has a Randomize Behavior set to the Bloom amount. It is set in the Randomize behavior in the Apply To section. You can set it to Opacity if you want.

Or another way and possible easier to do it is make the image fade with keyframes and then set the keyframes to continue forever. It is better described in my Creating a Hologram tutorial.
Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Adam Wilder
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:24:22 am

If you want something more rhythmic, you could use the Oscillate behavior applied to the text opacity.

Return to posts index

Steve Voltmer
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:38:42 pm

I am sorry to bother you, but I have no idea how to use the cathode tube you suggested. I have never used the keyframe feature either.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:54:32 pm

Type your text. Make sure it is selected in the Project Pane or Timeline. Go to the Properties tab. Right click on the word Opacity. A drop down menu will appear. Choose Randomize or Oscillate as Adam suggests. If you want your text to fade to zero opacity to full make the Opacity zero. Then go to the Behaviors tab. Make the Amount 100%. That will take the opacity to 0 to 100 because your opacity is currently zero. To make the fade on and off occur less frequently change the frequency to 1 or so. I've attached a project file for you to look at.

577_fadeflickersample.motn.zip

If you want to do it with keyframes watch the Creating a Hologram Tutorial, it is all in there. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]