FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Blur not working

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Camhi
Motion Blur not working
on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:24:27 am

I've scoured help and Cow to no avail... hoping someone here can point out what I'm missing.

In Motion 4, I've match-moved a 2D image to a clip's background video, and I want this image to have motion blur so it blends in better with the moving background in the clip. I checked "Motion Blur" under View/Render Options, but I still see no blurring. I don't see it in Motion nor in FCP (after saving the clip in Motion and rendering it in FCP).

Strangely, the blurring did work for me in a quick test yesterday, but I deleted that one and don't know what I did differently. I assume I've inadvertently altered some setting.

In the View menu, Quality is set to Best.

In Project Properties/Render Settings, the defaults are set (Samples: 8, Shutter Angle: 360). I've never touched them till just now. Playing with them only gave me a very faint single ghost image, ahead of the motion.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
Re: Motion Blur not working
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:00:28 pm

Update: Okay, Motion Blur clearly isn't my solution here, and it's not what I mysteriously did to make it work the other day.

I'll re-pose the question this way:

You have video of a bus speeding by. You use Match Move to track it and add a fake sign to the side of the bus.

Now you want the animated fake sign to blur, to match the blur of the moving bus and thereby blend in realistically. (The footage is handheld so it's moving in more than one direction, but your tracking is perfect.)

How do you accomplish this blur effect? Adding a Movement Blur filter doesn't do it, since Motion sees the image as static.

Thank you for any help!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:04:22 pm

I would try a Directional Blur. That way you have full control over everything. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:13:25 pm

I agree with Stephen. sometimes you just do not know what is the best, maybe a combination of two different blurs will accomplish your task, I would try all blurs and if you do not have a desired outcome I would then use Gaussian and some other like directional to get what I need. It all depends on the footage, you really have to see what looks right to you. I hope this helps...

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:34:37 pm

Thanks Zak. I'll play with directional. I just need to learn how to alter it by frame vs. a constant, static effect.

Sure wish I could remember what I did the other day that looked good automatically, though.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:18:37 pm

Thanks, Stephen. Can you change the Directional Blur filter on a frame-by-frame basis, to match the jerky motion you're mimicking with the animated object?

I had another idea, wonder if this feasible: Could I save the animation layer alone as a piece of video, then re-import it into Motion, add the Movement Blur filter to it, then composite it over my video footage again? Is that a crazy workflow?

It seems to me this must be a very common need in Motion -- to blur an animated object to match the motion blur in underlying practical footage -- and there must be a common workflow.

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:44:35 pm

Got it.. adding keyframes to Directional Blur and playing around with it and perhaps other filters.

Thanks again, Stephen & Zak, I'll report on how it goes.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:55:12 pm

I'm happy to help and best of luck with this project.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Glenn Camhi
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:09:31 pm

Thanks, the effect worked out pretty well. Tedious, but so it goes. Fortunately it was brief.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:22:35 pm

Oh good, that is great to hear. Sorry it was tedious.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]