FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get rid of distracting reflections on the wall?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Stanley
How to get rid of distracting reflections on the wall?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 7:10:27 am

Hi there,

Has anyone got any smart advice on how to get rid of these reflections on the wall behind the man with the torch?

In the first half of the clip you can see the problem. In the second half you can see my unsuccessful attempts at defeating this problem in Photoshop by exporting the clip as layers and then working on each layer individually painting out the reflections. Before re importing the clip back into Final Cut Pro.

The problem seems to be that each frame looks good when viewed individually but viewed as a sequence the repainted frames are just as distracting as the original problem that I was setting out to solve! What should I be doing.

Does anyone have an idea. I have Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Motion - It it possible using this software to cure this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: How to get rid of distracting reflections on the wall?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:17:37 pm

There's nothing to see

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:34:55 pm

Guess he REALLY removed the reflections... there's a big blank where the example is supposed to be.

Without the visual reference, it would be hard to make suggestions. Sounds like you sort of tried to rotoscope this using photoshop, and that's not a bad idea by itself. Your problem may be only not using enough feathering of your masking tools as you paint out these reflections. But probably the smoothest way to fix the wall I can't see, is to completely replace it with one brand new wall in the comp. How to go about that? Motion may not have quite all the tools you need for this.

One way might be to motion-track the footage, then re-build the entire wall from pieces you grab and bring into photoshop to build a large panoramic version of the clean wall. Apply the motion tracking to the new wall and it should line up perfectly with the rotoscoped actor. Once a "clean plate" of the background is available, you can re-apply shadow and lighting effcet as you like.

Maybe another way to get around painting individual frames is to create an adjustment layer using Apple Color or the color picking tool in the 3-way cc, or within Photoshop, that will clamp only the reflections and leave the rest of the scene unaffected. I'm just spitballing ideas here, I may be totally off base.

Any way you look at it, this is going to take some work.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:50:40 pm

I found another file that was the same movie.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Mistress of Mmmooooo
Join my LinkedIn network
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:52:59 pm

That's lens flare, people pay EXTRA for plug -ins to simulate it when they don't have it. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]