FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making translucent cubes more easily in Motion 3?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Making translucent cubes more easily in Motion 3?
on Feb 23, 2010 at 10:06:43 pm

I am playing with a sort of bar graph theme in Motion 3, where the bar graphs turn out to be 3-d and the active camera POV will orbit these, then fly down into the space between the two bars in the chart, not unlike a lightcycle scene from Tron. What the heck, I'm feeling nostalgic.

Anyhow, I have a little practice in Lightwave, so thinking in 3d is not competely alien, and not finding quite the tool I needed, I just imported a gradient tif file, duplicated it four times, and used the rotation, scaling, and xyz controls to assemble a cube and then grouped it all together so I can manipulate it like one single solid. This is working okay for me right now, but I was wondering if there's a faster or better way. For one thing, changing dimensions of the built cube/thick bar can get a little tricky.

If it turns out M3 has a really easy cube-making tool I just didn't notice, I'm going to have to spend an hour on the game grid dodging grid bugs:-)

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
Re: Making translucent cubes more easily in Motion 3?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:59:24 am

There is no dedicated cube-making tool in Motion. The way you've done it is the only way to do it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:51:08 pm

What about importing it from some other app? Anything like that? I have Lightwave on another desktop and making cubes takes about a yocktosecond there.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 24, 2010 at 8:07:58 pm

There is, in fact an easier way to make a cube in Motion. By using the replicator. Motion's not a 3D program like lightwave, but you can fake it a bit with this technique.

Check out the tutorial on my site where I make a "skyscraper" with this technique.

http://www.timesavertutorials.com/city01.html

Andy

Return to posts index

Matth Jenkins
on May 12, 2011 at 6:24:37 pm

Andy, extremely cool tutorial.
Way over my head. But I still learned a lot. I've bookmarked your site to revisit it after I've learned a bit more of the basics...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]