FORUMS: list search recent posts

smooth workflow between fcp and motion?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddy
smooth workflow between fcp and motion?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:40:53 am

Is there a good way to optimize working with motion i have been using it lately because the workflow is handy with FCP, previously i had been using After fx.
But my render times are quite long and im not talking massive image files or anything, just simple pal video and small jpeg files and sometimes when i stop on a motion clip the beachball of death starts spinning for a while then the system kicks back in, so i suppose i m asking whats the best way to get a smooth workflow between motion and fcp?

system
fcp6
0s 10.4
2x3ghz dual
8gb ram

Cheers Emmet

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: smooth workflow between fcp and motion?
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:40:32 pm

I have found that the more complex the project in Motion the longer it takes to render in FCP. When that happens you can lower the render quality. To do that in Final Cut Pro go up to Sequence, Settings. Click on the Render control tab and change the Quality to Draft or Normal. Make sure the "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies" is not checked. When you like what you got I would recommend exporting a movie out of Motion and placing the exported clip into FCP, or just know it will take a while to render. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:58:00 pm

I'm no expert at Motion, I'm learning it now using the Creative Cow training DVD purchased here. But here's my workflow and it's working well.

I use a Droplet created in Compressor to convert the camera footage to ProRes 422 before bringing it into FCP. In FCP, the Sequence settings match the ProRes. In Motion I use File > Share and select the same ProRes 422. When I import into FCP the Motion Export does not need rendered.

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on Feb 27, 2010 at 11:34:45 am

cheers i will give that workflow a go
thanks emmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]