FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking Dilemma

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Petty
Masking Dilemma
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:30:31 pm

Here's a good one...20 years ago when I was a marketing suit at Universal Studios I had the agency create this trailer...

http://www.movingstillsproductions.com/usf.mov

Now I am on the "creative" side and want to re-do the trailer for the big reunion we are having for the opening of the theme park.

I grasp the concept of matting...but how do I matte different source material in each letter of the horizontally scrolling type? Every day I learn new things about Motion but this one eludes me.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Masking Dilemma
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:34:26 pm

You would simply have every letter be it's own text layer, all in one group. You'd have a separate group of video layers. You'd apply an image mask to each video, and drag the appropriate letter to the well in the HUD. Then animate the entire letter group to make the word move.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 3:48:50 pm

Thanks for keeping it simple...always the best way.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:25:45 pm

Or another way to do it with the same idea is to type out the text in one layer, make sure the text is white. Place all of the video clips in another group above the texts group and mask or crop the video clips so they don't overlap into the next letter. Apply an image mask to the video clip group and drag the text layer into the Mask Source well. And then add a camera for the move or put the two groups into another group and move it. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:27:58 pm

A better approach, nice, Stephen.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:50:51 pm

I'll try both way's...thanks guys. I was just trying to remember much I paid to have this produced in 1989...probably a couple hundred grand (we being a major studio happy to pay ridiculous LA prices for anything)

Now I can go knock it out back in our little micro production company studio for time spent. Of course if I had it produced by an agency today it would still be a couple hundred grand!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:05:20 pm

I have a second question. Is it reasonable, assuming I committed to upping the ante on my skill set, to redoing the logo at the end of the trailer I posted from scratch in Motion. Seems like i might be easier than it might appear. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Feb 18, 2010 at 8:21:18 am

It's certainly possible to recreate all the animation, but personally I wouldn't try redrawing the logo in Motion (if that's what you meant). It's probably do-able with patience, but I'd want to get someone who knows what they're doing to draw it Adobe Illustrator.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]