FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optical Flow round-tripping problem

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Hare
Optical Flow round-tripping problem
on Feb 11, 2010 at 1:10:59 pm

I started with a shot of a car coming towards camera in FCP. Sent to Motion. In motion I have activated Optical flow. The shot now starts off high speed to get the car close to camera, then changes to a very slow rate of about 5 frames over 4 seconds. It looks great....really smooth, except for a few edge problems.

When I save the file and then go back into FCP the shot wont play. I did a full render but it still won't play. I exported the clip and the speed aspect is correct, but it seems to ignore the optical flow tool. I can see the frames step through.

Can anyone advise me why it won't play in FCP at all, and then renders without optical flow?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Optical Flow round-tripping problem
on Feb 11, 2010 at 2:02:27 pm

This should work - only thing I can think of is in FCP, select the sequence, to go Sequence > Settings, to the Render Control tab, and check the checkbox for Always Render at Best Quality for Motion projects.

Otherwise, if you are on Motion 3, it could be because your cache file is so huge that it's causing you problems - before Motion 4, OF would analyze the entire underlying media, not just the between the In and Out points. Check the size of the cache file (you can get there from Motion's preferences)

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:08:58 pm

I'd just render it out in Motion rather than trying to play it through FCP.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Jason Hare
on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:19:59 pm

Mark's answer fixed the problem. It was just that setting. Looks great now.

Noah. Your answer would work but as it is part of a larger offline FCP project that will be conformed in another country I want it to be as neat and easy for them as possible.

Thanks for your help....

Jason

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:24:58 pm

In that case I'd definitely include a rendered version as a backup with what you sent. You don't want to get that call asking why the footage doesn't look right. Media managing round trips between Motion and FCP is tricky enough just on the same computer. Moving to another system can greatly compound the issue. Just my two cents.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Hare
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:28:04 pm

Hi Noah,

Very good point that you raise.

My biggest issue is that I have been sent DV rushes to effectively do an offline edit of a HD-CAM project, so I can't really render anything as finals.

What I might do is speak to the client and get them to ftp me full res versions of the shots I need to process in Motion. That way I can provide them a new version of the shots in full quality.

Thank again for your help.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:57:22 pm

Ah I see- yeah that would be a good call if they have any trouble getting it to look right- or you could include your DV render so they have a reference of what it should look like. That way you're not FTP'ing a massive HDCAM shot.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]