FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pal roll bar on an NTSC monitor

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
Pal roll bar on an NTSC monitor
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:54:24 pm

Hey all shot a project for Europe at 25P 1080 using the JVC GY HM100 (as a B camera to my EX) trained on an LCD monitor. No flicker or roll bar issues with the EX of course but the JVC footage has a nice slow roll bar going through the monitor footage that we didn't see at all in camera. I've heard there are ways to even this out in AE, any way to do it in Motion?
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Pal roll bar on an NTSC monitor
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:11:26 am

Painted out is more like it. That's one of those things you just live with unless you want to go frame by frame and paint it out. Also greatly depends on how prominent it is. This is easy to do if say it's tiny in the frame and not much passes in front of it and it's a fairly static shot. Handheld, close up with objects passing in front of it- is pass it over to ILM time...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:47:00 pm

Actually it's not even a roll bar it's a slow steady pulsing, the entire screen dims up and down slowly and nothing crosses the screen other than the slate at the head. Any ideas?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 7, 2010 at 3:40:24 am

Same issue- that's burned in, i.e. not removable without superimposing something else over it or painting it out frame by frame. There's no automatic fix you can do here. It'd be the same if say an unwanted car drove through your shot- you either live with it or paint it out frame by frame. You can do this in Photoshop CS4 btw- but highly labor intensive. I'd suggest you either live with it as is, cut out the shots completely if you can or reshoot. You have to be really careful when shooting monitors and use the synchro or clear scan feature of your camera to make sure they're gone.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:15:24 am

What was actually on the LCD? Can you cheat it by tracking in stuff shot with the A-cam?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]