FORUMS: list search recent posts

Overwrite / change master template

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Overwrite / change master template
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:06:06 pm

I created a master template in Motion, then used it in several places in FCP. All good!

I now want to change that master template, and have the effect take place globally.

The template is called "Client Lower Third.HD".

If I go into Motion and open that template, it opens up as "Untitled". I have to then go to File > Save As Template, and then give it the same name as the current file. It then asks if I want to replace the current one.

But what if I don't remember the name? Then I have to hit cancel, and go back and find out what I called it. Isn't there an easy way to just overwrite? If I try to save, it just wants to save it as a new motion project, not a template.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Overwrite / change master template
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:08:28 pm

What you need to do is, in FCP, right or control-click on the template and choose Open in Editor (not Open Copy in Editor). Your changes will affect all instances.

You can also make a new template version, bring it into the Browser, then drag it over a template in the Timeline, wait a beat, and you'll get a menu with options to replace the current template, all templates in the sequence, or all templates in the project.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
Re: Overwrite / change master template
on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:56:26 pm

Thanks!

The first way, it updates the instances of the template in the project, but...if you've made a change (say to the text size) in the sequence, the change is NOT overwritten for existing instances (new ones are).

The second way, it will replace those changes (though not changes to the text content).

Naveen
contact@naveenmedia.com
http://www.naveenmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]