FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laying out credit rolls as RTF import for Motion 4

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Scott
Laying out credit rolls as RTF import for Motion 4
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:49:41 pm

First up thanks lots mark spencer for the tips online, took me a while but they explain what I was after

thought I would share my observations of this new tool here and see if I was doing things correctly (some things came out a little quirky and you need to know this before using the tool)

You need to left align text, set 2 tab bars (one left aligned, one right aligned) for the column. Then tab then type text then tab marks for spacer gutter, then text then carriage rtn

For centre aligned text just ask them to be centre aligned

When importing into motion resize the font as necessary and even the gutter tab marks.

For getting pictures included in the rolling text I just zoomed right out and moved the pictures far down the graphic (it was important to do this roughly before applying the sequence text behaviour and then nudge more exactly after the behaviour was applied). I did find it difficult to see the surrounding elements when zoomed far out on my canvas and it wouldn’t show beyond the canvas boundaries (I know how to but it wouldn’t work)

YOU MUST remember to use the layout paramters and the left right margins so that even the centre aligned text is actually centre aligned
I did find I had to not trust the centre of the object and its yellow alignment guides when working with an RTF imported text object. If you align by eye this might be a bit quicker.

marks tips are here
From

And subscribe to a newsletter and a mark spencer text template over at his great website
http://www.AppleMotion.net

Once ready to get the text to scroll apply the scrolling text behaviour and then make sure to check the option for reduce flicker for interlace or progressive

I found that the titles didn’t want to exactly fit to the time I was asking for, my best trick was make the composition slightly longer than I needed and or set timing slightly different for the behaviour than the actual element e.g. a behaviour which lasts longer might work to your advantage. I have a feeling this is the interlace flicker fixes making the object roll as long as is even, not necessarily the timing needed

Make sure to realise HD titles may look weird when working to an SD output, always work to what you need to output

Think I had trouble as I had an HD sequence and a very long credit roll, it could have been the graphics card and two large monitors getting in the way but I think such a large text object gets in the way a little

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Laying out credit rolls as RTF import for Motion 4
on Feb 2, 2010 at 5:08:13 pm

Thanks for posting all your solution work!

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Feb 2, 2010 at 7:41:15 pm

thanks

realise the post was a bit of a big note and a bit difficult to understand maybe, just thought it good to share what was tricky with others

plus its good to write things down when theres all those steps

nice tool though this new credit roll tool never seen any software that does it that well

Return to posts index

Marek Poray-Heywowski, P.S.C.
on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:00:12 pm

Hi,

I've got my credit roll running smoothly in Motion 4 but I'm very puzzled by how I can get logos from various companies to roll at the same rate as the automated credit scroll. You know, Kodak, Panavision etc. I can get the logo to move, as a separate still image, but the problem is to have it keep up with and not faster than the speed of the credit roll.

Help!

Thank you,
Renata and Marek

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:11:48 pm

Put your logos in the same group as the text layer and scroll the group instead of the text layer.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Sam Wheatley
on Sep 11, 2010 at 2:59:37 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate this template / layout myself as a means to understand it all (and actually create some titles that I need).

I don't understand the process of setting tab bars to create the "gutter". I was wondering if you could shed some light on that or point me in the direction of something that could help.

I'm equipped with Word, Pages, and TextEdit if the software determines the method.

Cheers

S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]