FORUMS: list search recent posts

Objects Move When Grouped

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
Objects Move When Grouped
on Jan 27, 2010 at 8:38:57 pm

I've got a bunch of objects that I've begun to animate, and I want to group them so I can make them all fade out together at the end. However, the objects all move when I group them. What gives? Screenshot below:

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
Re: Objects Move When Grouped
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:34:16 pm

No takers yet?

I've learned that if I "group" one object, then drag the other objects into that group, things move less. They still move a little bit, but it's better. Still...this is a major bug, is it not?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:42:19 pm

You shouldn't have to do that. Generally, if objects shift, it's because you have some filters or behaviors that are causing them to be larger than the Canvas size. You can try setting the group to fixed resolution to address this.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:11:29 pm

No filters or behaviours used – only two things happening here. The little blue triangles scale from 1 to 100% to "pop" into existence; and there's a feathered mask used to reveal the text boxes with a left-to-right wipe. (I just did a test where I removed the masks, and still the objects move drastically when grouped.)

The "fixed resolution" thing doesn't help me anyway, since the objects are still in their wrong places after checking that box.

Any other suggestions? I still think it's a bug.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:48:59 pm

I've never seen this before, any way of posting the project file so we can take a look at it?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:16:50 pm

If it's a bug, then it should be reproducible - like Steven said, it would be great if you could post the project to test. In the meantime, have you tried trashing your prefs?

1) Quit Motion.
2) Navigate to User/Library/Preferences.
3) Locate com.apple.motion.plist and delete it.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:36:36 pm

Update: it seems only to be a problem involving PSD graphics imported via "All Layers". To recreate:

1. Import a PSD onto the canvas, choosing to import "All Layers". The PSD layers are imported into a group named after the PSD file.
2. Create a new type object within the PSD group. Select it and Group it. It will move.

Anything inside of the Group created when importing the PSD will get messed up when re-grouping within. The solution (yay!) is to Ungroup the PSD group. Even if I re-group the collection of imported objects, the problem is gone. Hallelujah!

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks for your help (and offers to troubleshoot my file).

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:44:11 pm

Note that the group of PSD layers defaults to fixed resolution - you can tell this by the box around the icon in the Layers tab. Unchecking fixed resolution in the Inspector will likely fix your problem.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:03:38 pm

It didn't, but thanks Mark. Ungrouping the PSD group fixes it though.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]