FORUMS: list search recent posts

PSD Layer Positions Shift

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
PSD Layer Positions Shift
on Jan 26, 2010 at 11:50:51 pm

Novice Motion user here. I have imported a PSD file (using the "All Layers" option). I've begun to animate the layers. I had to add a new layer to the PSD graphic. When Motion updates the PSD, the layer objects move all over the place. This is not good.

My current workaround is to save as a new PSD, and import it to use the new layer(s). Is there a more elegant solution?

Importing PSD layers is, in principle, super awesome. However, it seems it's only awesome if I don't have to monkey with the PSD after it's imported. (Having said that, it seems to only mess things up if layers are added or deleted or change size.)

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: PSD Layer Positions Shift
on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:06:47 am

If you want to add additional graphic to your design it would be better to just save this in another file and import it separately to your motion document. Changing layers and renaming them will probably create problems for you as motion is looking for the names original imported. Just save additional graphic as .PNG if you have alpha or .jpg if you do not have alpha.

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:11:07 pm

I've had frequent transparency issues with PNG in Motion (and FCP), so a different solution is required. I guess I'll save that for a separate post though.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 27, 2010 at 5:15:30 pm

You can do what Zak suggested, but don't save it as a png then. Save it as a PSD. So you will have two PSD's. The original one that you have made all sorts of changes to in Motion. And then another PSD with just the new layer that you want to add. Simply just import it into Motion and place it where it belongs in the other PSD. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]