FORUMS: list search recent posts

Manipulated type techniques in motion 3, need tips

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Manipulated type techniques in motion 3, need tips
on Jan 22, 2010 at 5:51:32 pm

Working on one of those spots that is all just animated type, where the scaling, rotation, and such are all keyframed so the thing assembles like an animated version of scrabble. Being a nweb in Apple Motion I am searching for an online tutorial specifically for Apple Motion. The example below is AE-based and I want to be able to efficiently manipulate individual words and blocks of pre-positioned words in the same way this one shows. You only need to really watch the last 60 seconds of this one to get what I mean:

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.asp?sid=156&sortby=&page=25&rpid=0&...

IS there such a tutorial online for Motion somewhere, or failing that, can I get some basic outlines of the best way for a beginner to set this up in Apple Motion 3? I'm guessing I have to figure out which bunches of words to put into a group, then apply my x and y and z rotations and scaling to the group. How deep can I group groups of groups this way, or is that a bad idea? Thanks as always for any hints and opinions.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Manipulated type techniques in motion 3, need tips
on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:10:29 pm

Mark, I'm not aware of any Motion tutorials on Typography. I started writing one but got side tracked. I think I revisit it because I love Typography a lot. Of course none of that helps you right now. This is how I would do this:

Lay out your text. Make each word it's own layer. That way you can bring them in independent of each other and add Text Behaviors if you so desire. I would use the camera to move around from groups of words to words. If I'm not specific enough I can build I quick project file and upload it for you to look at. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 22, 2010 at 6:40:09 pm

Even something very rough would help me start getting a grasp on it. Let me know where you put the file. ALso any suggestions as to the compositional space, I guess I should work in HD prores for this for when I eventually export back to FCP, to keep the type looking sharp no matter how extreme the scaling?

Kind of weird there aren't more Motion tutorials on this specific thing, though I expect it is really dominated by AfterEffects. If I HAD AE, maybe I wouldn't need as much help:-)

Deeply appreciate the tidbits, thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:18:34 pm

Sorry Mark, I no longer have easy access to Motion 3. Posting a Motion 4 project file won't help you. I've attached this quick version of what I did.

Because we are on different versions here is what I did in a nut shell.

•Add Camera
•Add Text called Text
•Make BackGround, Get background in its own group and make its group 2D so it does not move with the camera.
•Go about a second down the Timeline. Give the Camera a Position and Rotation keyframe. Jump another second down the timeline and mark another Camera keyframe. Rotate the camera -90. Change the Z position so it moves closer to the text. Adjust the X and Y as needed.
•Duplicate the text or create another. Call it Can. Make sure Can is rotated -90 and move to proper location.
•Duplicate the Can text and call the duplicate Move. Move the Move text into place.
•I added the "JUmp In" behavior to the Can layer of text.
• I added the "Type On" behavior to the Move text.
•Get the Can and Move text to appear when the camera starts rotating.
•Jump further down the timeline and mark a Position and Rotation key frame.
•Jump another second down the time line and mark another Position and Rotation keyframe.
•Rotate the camera back to zero. Move the Z position to move back from the text and adjust the X and Y as well.
•Duplicate the Text text or type in new text. Call it YOU. Move its Z position to say 130 so it is further away form the other text. Move it into position. Changing it's Z position will make it slightly slide into place as the camera pulls out.

Hope this makes sense. If you upgrade to Motion 4 I'll be more then happy to post the project file. Best of luck

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:21:25 pm

It's quite easy to convert a Motion 4 project so that it opens in Motion 3 - and if you didn't use any Motion 4 features, it should work exactly the same:

http://www.applemotion.net/blog/2009/12/9/open-motion-4-projects-with-motio...

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:35:06 pm

Mark Spencer,
Very cool!!! Thanks.

Mark Suszko,
Here is the project file.

496_textsamplem3.motn.zip

I'm not sure if the behaviors I used or for Motion 4 only. The behavior really doesn't matter. I just picked them randomly. You can add any behavior you want if they don't work.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 22, 2010 at 7:55:00 pm

This is like having Stephen Hawking on speed dial while doing your taxes.:-)
Thanks for the fast help; I'll play with this over the weekend and start trying to animate an actual spot with it Monday. Any other tips in the mean time very welcome.

Any words about resolution settings? Project will end up compressed for the web as well as a DVD, but I guess I want to work in a very large resolution to start with.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Butting in
on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28:48 pm

Hit youtube and search for "kinetic typography" and you will find hundreds of sample clips. They're not difficult to deconstruct but the best are amalgams of material from several applications.
Making this stuff happen is not difficult. DESIGNING it is the tough, creative challenge. After that it's keyframes and patience.

I must say, though, kinetic type is over, passé, ever so yesterday. Putting it on the air identifies you as a curmudgeon, the same kind of guy who uses two spaces after a period. The challenge these days is to use type in new ways, even in a stylized retro fashion.

wish you good luck, Szusko.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:10:56 pm

applemotion.net has a weekly podcast that gives tutorials in Motion and related subjects. A few are devoted to type, but there's quite a lot about using various features in Motion that I'm sure you can apply.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:21:58 pm

Something to keep in mind. Depending on what you do, the Text can look not sharp. If that happens, temporally change the Render Quality Setting from Normal to Best and it will sharpen up. Change it back to Normal so it doesn't slow you computer down and remember to check the Best back when you export. You can also check it in the Output tab when you export. I only write this because I know some people where this freaked them out.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 22, 2010 at 10:10:24 pm

BTW, where is the control to automatically "add clever typographical layouts" to the comp? Mine seems to be missing, must be a bug...

JK, but if you haven't tried it, you might get some inspiration by trying the Wordle site; drop any text into it and keep hitting the randomize button until something looks good. Wordle uses a process that adjusts word size according to number of times each word repeats, in a "word cloud" display. For fun, drop any campaign speech into it some time! Will kill an hour easily...

It is slow going on this comp, but faster now that I have the template you made as a jumping-off point. I started by just replacing the text, then poking at the other variables one at a time and playing back over and over. Learning to keyframe the rotations is proving to be tricky, looks like a ransom note stuck in a blender right now, but I'll keep working on it. What helps a LOT is just applying the many canned behaviors and just tweaking each of them a little. Can't thank you guys enough for being there to help.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 3, 2010 at 5:53:23 pm

Here is a link to my Kinetic Typography video tutorial I finally finished. When you watch it you will see why it took me so long to complete. I think it turned out great.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]