FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating an "oil painting" effect in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomkins
Creating an "oil painting" effect in Motion
on Jan 21, 2010 at 5:38:21 am

Hi

I'm trying to make a piece of footage look like an "moving" oil painting - just wondering if people had any ideas for how I could achieve this before I give up and have to buy an expensive plugin.

I've tried mixing silks and crystallizing and wide time which is not too bad, but I'm sure there's a better way...

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Creating an "oil painting" effect in Motion
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:10:35 pm

You may want to try adding an edge detection filter and cranking that way up. Look for "Edges" and "Edge Work".

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:40:45 pm

I used to use a freeware version of Synthetik StudioArtist for this, but also there are a number of free resources in the Photoshop community where they have created automated batch processes you can apply to the images in a folder. You can download the droplets or specs for free, or make your own, by just turning on the actions recorder while you treat a single frame grab from yuor video to get the look you want, then apply the action to all the frames. Here's how: Export an image sequence in tif or targa format from your timeline, into a folder. Open that folder in Photoshop and apply the batch action to it, takes just minutes, re-import the stills back into the time line, done. Be sure you pre-set your FCP bins so that graphic imports have a single-frame duration, and I keep these image sequence folders in their own bin. A google search for "photoshop batch actions for oil painting look" will turn up a lot of easy guides to more specifics.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 21, 2010 at 3:40:19 pm

If you expect to do this effect more than once ad can bill your clients for the look, you want a package form DigiEffects. http://www.digieffects.com/product_home

They no longer list their products conveniently by platform but most of their plugs now drop into FCP.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Chris Tomkins
on Jan 24, 2010 at 12:08:22 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions... Will give em a go!

Return to posts index

Joe Monani
on May 13, 2014 at 6:48:41 am

hi, dude, why so complicated, i just brought some pieces oil painting from http://www.oilpaintinggallery.net, they provide good service and do a great job.... you can try and good luck.
JM

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 13, 2014 at 2:28:59 pm

Got to love Spam.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved