FORUMS: list search recent posts

How/can I alter "demographic crowd: in Motion 3 content?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How/can I alter "demographic crowd: in Motion 3 content?
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:20:46 pm

Coming across a neat piece of canned content in Motion 3, I found these little playmobil-looking guys, that are pre-built into a neat animation. There's also a single .png file of one of the guys supplied.

Like so:

Being lazy, what I'm wanting to do is swap the little guys out for another graphic element to re-purpose the content. Questions:

A: is this particular content locked up so I can't make the exchange of figures?

B: Assuming A's answer is "no, of course you can swap the men out", I'd appreciate a little bit of hinting as to the steps to make that happen.

Thanks very much for any hints or pointers to a specific tutorial related to this particular kind of task.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How/can I alter "demographic crowd: in Motion 3 content?
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:25:30 pm

Yes you can swap the figure out. Select the Emitter in the Project Pane or Timeline. click on the Emitter tab in the Inspector. Scroll to the bottom of your options. Drag your new object into the Particle Source well. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:29:13 pm

Dude, the wikipedia picture of "awesome" is a gif of you! :-) Will play with this and get back to you if I need a little more coaching. Thanks for such a fast reply, the chairlifts at the ski resort must be broken
.:-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:46:03 pm

Stephen, it is working pretty much as you said, please, how about one more hint on how to keyframe the particle emitter controls?

I need to start with about a hundred identical image objects on screen, dwindling or decaying down to about 20 on screen at the same time by about 20 seconds later?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:48:33 pm

[Mark] Dude, the wikipedia picture of "awesome" is a gif of you! :-)

Stop, I'm blushing...any way of telling my Mom that? ;-)

I bask in your awesomeness of 45 tagged post. That is a great sign of someone who knows what they are talking about and helpful at the same time.

[Mark] Thanks for such a fast reply, the chairlifts at the ski resort must be broken

Yeah, I hear three suckers got stuck on the chairlift over night and forgot to bring their cell phones. Beware of wolfs. :-) A link for everyone who doesn't know what we are talking about. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/267/513

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 20, 2010 at 10:20:42 pm

I didn't mean that movie, just that you are in Utah and it is winter, you should be out skiing, I figure. But I'll go with your version, since you're being so nice:-)

So, about keyframing the particle emitter to start with about 100 items on screen and dwindle down to about 20 over 15-20 seconds? I'm very new to Motion and am having to do the black diamond run straight from the bunny hill.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:01:37 pm

You are right, I should be out skiing. It's my favorite sport.

Two options that first came to mind:

The clip naturally does that in reverse. You could put it in FCP and then reverse it. If you go that route I would recommend the Nattress Reverse Filter that is free. http://www.nattress.com/

To make the change in the Particle Emitter. Select the Emitter and click on the Emitter tab. Change the life to around 5. (Life is how long the image will be on the screen. So once it is on the screen for 5 seconds it will disappear.) Mark a Birth Rate keyframe in the middle of the project, lets say 5 seconds. Jump another 15 frames down the time line and make another Birth Rate Key frame. Make the Value 4. This will start you out with a lot of people and drop them down to about 20 or so. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:21:42 pm

Thanks, you rock out loud. Hopefully this will be all I need.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 20, 2010 at 11:55:39 pm

Happy to help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]