FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masks not rotating with group - is this a known bug?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
Masks not rotating with group - is this a known bug?
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:38:07 pm

For some reason today, Motion decided that when I wanted to rotate groups, it wouldn't rotate any image masks inside those groups.

Simple example - take a background image (in its own group):

Create a new group and add a new layer:

Add another:

Draw a rectangle mask around the picture in the Polaroid, add it to the caterpillar as an image mask, resize/reposition the caterpillar:

Now rotate the Polaroid group. Everything moves except for the image mask:

There's no reason for Motion to be doing this, is there? I'm not missing something really obvious? My layers window for the above looks like this:

This problem has been causing me real headaches today, along with another bug that meant I lost Crop functionality for text layers *after* setting up some text with crops. I'm still on Motion 3.0.2 - is Motion 4 any less buggy/more stable?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Masks not rotating with group - is this a known bug?
on Jan 11, 2010 at 8:55:53 pm

Not sure why you are adding a rectangle mask and an image mask - all you should need is the rectangle mask, applied to the caterpillar clip.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:11:53 pm

If I just use a rectangle mask directly on the caterpillar clip, the mask moves and scales along with that clip. If I draw a rectangle mask around the picture area of the Polaroid and then apply it to the caterpillar as an image mask, I can move and scale the caterpillar clip independently of the mask, so that I can reposition and resize the caterpillar whilst always keeping it within the picture area of the Polaroid - I don't have to keep repositioning the edges of the mask. Am I making sense there?

That side, surely if I rotate a group, everything within that group should rotate, including image masks? It's just a bug, there's nothing I'm overlooking?

EDIT - I think I've found a workaround. If I draw a solid rectangle, NOT a mask, and then apply that to the caterpillar clip as an image mask, it rotates perfectly.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:23:29 pm

You can still do what you want with one mask and I think it will solve your issue. Mask the polaroid image to cut a hole in it. place the caterpillar beneath it - you can scale and position the caterpillar independently of the mask. Now with both the polaroid and the caterpillar in the same group, you can transform the group and everything in it will transform together.

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:35:56 pm

I did try that earlier, but when you position or scale the caterpillar beyond the area covered by the Polaroid image you end up with this sort of thing:

BTW, am I right in thinking that the mask rotation problem is just an example of Motion being buggy? I guess a reinstall might fix it?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 11, 2010 at 9:49:41 pm

Ah, yes, you are right about seeing the image beyond the mask.

Not sure if it's a bug but certainly try trashing your prefs:

1) Quit Motion.
2) Navigate to User/Library/Preferences.
3) Locate com.apple.motion.plist and delete it.

Also if you post the project file I'll see what it does here...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]