FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to achieve this effect? Looks like Vectorize Color, but not quite!

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
How to achieve this effect? Looks like Vectorize Color, but not quite!
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:48:31 pm

I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest ways of treating normal colour photos to achieve the effect seen in the following clip:

Specifically, it's the sort of duotone "screen printing" effect used for the characters. I've tried Vectorize Color, with colour 1 set to black and colours 2-4 set to white, but it's not quite right, it doesn't achieve that "hand-inked" sort of look. I was wondering if perhaps it's some specific plugin or filter for something like Photoshop that's instantly recognisable if you know about that sort of thing?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: How to achieve this effect? Looks like Vectorize Color, but not quite!
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:03:47 pm

I would give the Color Reduce filter a try. I built a lot of the images in this TV commercial with it. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:47:13 pm

By the way, I forgot to mention. Take a look at the Sketch templates that comes with Motion. Drop a clip in the drop zone and then look at the filters they used and what settings they used. You may find it of help.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jan 9, 2010 at 12:45:51 pm

In Photoshop use Image > Adjustments > Posterize use setting 4. Then use filter (Filter Gallery) and use Artistic > Cutout. You will have to manipulate settings until you are happy with it. Also try different Artistic filters and see what you like. Then save your PSD with all of your images and import it into Motion to Animate.

Try to research around in the future as this sort of effect is pretty standard. Learning on your own is a great way of moving forward. Always strive to be autonomous learner. ;-)

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Jan 10, 2010 at 7:04:27 am

Thanks for that - I guess I'll have to get Photoshop now :)

BTW, because I don't have Photoshop there's no way I would have found that out by experimenting by myself, and I did try to replicate the effect in Motion before asking. I do try and research things first, but sometimes you just gotta ask on a forum like this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]