FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video has Swine Flu jaggies

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
Video has Swine Flu jaggies
on Jan 8, 2010 at 6:28:54 pm

Video clips I've added to my Motion project are sick with jaggies/degradation.

If I take the same clip in FCP and send it to Motion it looks fine.

In Motion, I've compared and matched project properties between the two Motion projects, but it doesn't make the directly imported clips into Motion look any better.

My current workaround is to Send the clips to Motion from FCP, then copy the layer from that sent Motion project into the Real project I'm working on. The clips look good in that real project even while the directly imported clip looks jaggy in the layer below.

Why do my clips look so jaggy when imported directly into Motion? What's the fix?

The clip was captured in FCP as 720x486 Apple ProRes Anamorphic progressive (field dominance = none)
Motion 4.0.0
FCP 7.0
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Video has Swine Flu jaggies
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:28:46 pm

So swine flu is a joke now? Just because people have died around the world now makes it a funny thing to use to describe a technical problem? Wow, good to know we can make jokes about it now.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:50:15 pm

What are your Motion settings for Resolution and Render Quality?

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 8, 2010 at 10:08:25 pm

Render quality = best or good (tried both)
Resolution = Full

Remember both the FCP sent clip and the directly imported clip are in the same real project with the above pictured results.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Mark Spencer
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:50:52 am

How about field dominance, sometimes Motion interprets it incorrectly - Edit > Project Properties

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 11, 2010 at 12:13:46 pm

Thank you.
Field dominance is set to "None" to match the clip.

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 11, 2010 at 12:37:36 pm

However....

I just experimented with making the field dominance "Upper" and voila! The jaggies disappeared even though the clip is progressive. So you're on to something there. But I don't want to build an interlaced project as it's mostly graphics and intended for the web.

So I tried another experiment...

I took the clip I exported from FCP and put it into Compressor. Easy.
Compressor displayed the clip without the jaggies (same in QT player BTW). OK good.
I compressed the clip with the same codec (Apple ProRes HQ) and field dominance set to same as source (Frame Controls off). (I just used a preset and didn't change anything so it should have just recompressed the clip with a new name.) OK easy, if not wasteful due to the recompression degradation.
I imported that Compressor recompressed clip into Motion. I imported the orginal FCP clip into Motion. Motion's project properties field dominance = "None". The FCP clip had jaggies. The Compressor clip didn't.

Summary:
Somehow Motion is not recognizing the field dominance properly from FCP exported Apple ProRes HQ clips but does recognize it from Compressor exported clips.
Can anyone confirm this?
Why is this happening?
How can I fix it?

BTW these clips were originally captured using a Kona LHe on a FCP 6.0.6 running OS 10.5.8. Then they were brought into a FCP 7 running OS 10.5.8 and exported.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 11, 2010 at 2:23:59 pm

That's very odd, have not see it myself - perhaps you could post a very short section of the clip, I could test it here...

--
Mark Spencer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]