FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Motion have an equivalent to AE's Motion Tile effect?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Williams
Does Motion have an equivalent to AE's Motion Tile effect?
on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:49:28 pm

Is there any way of automatically repeating a texture in Motion a la AE's Motion Tile effect? I want to try and achieve the effect of an "infinite" background texture that I can move across in any direction for any distance.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Does Motion have an equivalent to AE's Motion Tile effect?
on Jan 5, 2010 at 8:54:23 pm

Try replicating your tile into a rectangle pattern and you can use the offset parameter to shift the pattern

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Jan 8, 2010 at 8:08:45 am

Thanks for that, Mark. It should have been obvious, but I guess sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious!

On a related note, I'd be grateful if you could give me your insight on the following:

I want to emulate the sort of style you see quite a lot these days, where an animation begins, and then moves off the edge of the frame. The camera then moves to "catch up" with it, typically using a motion-blurred whip-pan effect. Or maybe the camera will leave the animation to zoom off to reveal a different part of the background, and the animation will then "catch up" with the camera. The sense you get is of the camera moving and the animation happening over a very very large background.

Am I right in thinking that the best workflow for this sort of project - especially if your background is made up of lots of different textures and still images rather than using a single seamless texture - is first to use something like Photoshop to create the background as one very large graphic image (say, 2-3x bigger than the resolution of the project) to allow plenty of room for dramatic camera moves over it? Or is there a more RAM-efficient way?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Jan 8, 2010 at 4:01:26 pm

You won't be able to use textures larger than the limit of your graphics card - 2K, 4K, or 8K depending on the card. An alternative is to put a smaller graphic in a 2D group, which won't be affected by the camera, or to set the background to a specific color.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Phil Williams
on Jan 8, 2010 at 9:31:08 pm

I'm only working in SD at the moment, so 2K would be big enough for me. I hear what you're saying about the 2D group or the solid background colour, but I want to achieve the effect of the TV frame being a window onto a sort of photocollagey/scrapbooky background that we can't see all at once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]