FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D objects in Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Gogava
3D objects in Motion
on Jan 5, 2010 at 1:36:18 am

is there any way of importing 3D objects in motion 3 or EPS files?
I was told that ProAnimator does the job and just want to make sure before I'll purchase it

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: 3D objects in Motion
on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:37:45 am

Zaxwerks ProAnimator works as a plugin inside of Motion and allows you to create extruded and beveled 3D text and primitive objects.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 5, 2010 at 4:04:20 am

Depends- Motion is not a full blown 3D app. If you want to do complex 3D, you want LightWave, Blender, C4D, etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Jan 5, 2010 at 7:58:15 am

Boris 6 have a option to import EPS from which it will create a 3d object. This is not as powerful as using a real 3d software such as cinema 4d for example. If you want to be able to export cameras from 3d to work in apple motion then it is best to get cinema 4d 11.5.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 5, 2010 at 5:01:42 pm

I think Zaxwerk's ProAnimator FX is a great plug-in. It does a great job with Illustrator files. I've never imported 3D models in the program before, but it looks like it will take:

FBX Animation (.fbx)
Maya/Wavefront (.obj)
3D Studio Models (.3ds)
Lightwave Models (.lwo)
Electric Image Models (.fac)
Cinema 4D Models (.c4d)
Autocad Models (.dxf)

That being said, I use ProAnimator FX to create really cool logo animations and basic shapes such as a TV. It does a great job with logo animations. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:44:22 pm

You can download the fully functional Proanimator software from Zaxwerks and get a temporary license key from them to try it out.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jan 10, 2010 at 8:22:28 pm

My only comparison to this is working in AE and combustion.

3D plugins are very effective for simple extrusion and deformation.

The biggest appointment I always seem to find is that the plug in is it's own 3d space which can contain one element. When multiple layers each cotaining 3d elements are included, the layers then to treat each other as layers.

So to add a bit of simple 3d to a comp it's nice, but beyond even the most simple things, it's usually a bit disappointing.

BORIS RED as a host application (as klunky as I think the application GUI is) actually handles this a bit better and you can do a bit more with it.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:54:03 pm

As a follow up:

I would like to use a rocking horse model from the Daz3D site in Motion 4, having the camera fly in and out towards and away from it.
Is it possible to import this type of object into Motion 4, play around with it, then export to FCP, or will I need to create, texture map, and render the animation in Daz3D, then import that into the FCP timelime (if that sort of thing is possible)?

Thank you all for your sage advice.
Michael West

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:47:51 pm

You can not import 3D objects into motion with out a 3rd party plug-in. Even with say Zaxwerks it is still not true 3D. Your 3D object will be on a single layer.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:00:13 pm

You can export camera from cinema 4d into motion. This opens a new possibilities within motion. I made some 3d tutorials for motion see http://www.embryo.me.uk.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:48:27 pm

Zak:
Which tutorial should I be looking at?
Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:08:10 am

See transient 3d for example, also see Diamond Sphere. There are few just look around.

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:47:27 pm

Stephen:
When you say "on a single layer", do you mean the object will be one-dimensional (flat)?
Thanks.
Michael

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:00:35 pm

If you go the ProAnimator route, then your object will be rendered in ProAnimator in 3D for each frame (IOW, outside of Motion). But the lines blur even further when you consider that you can match camera moves in Motion to the camera moves in ProAnimator.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 20, 2010 at 8:06:28 pm

With Zaxwerks the 3D object will be flat. For example, if you create a sphere and the "Use 3D camera from Project" is checked or un-checked and then you rotate the Motion camera around the sphere it is as flat as the layer is.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael West
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:04:16 pm

Thanks to all of you for your smarts and your time.

Here's what I gathered:
I can't bring 3D objects into Motion as I would into Poser, Daz Studio, Cinema 4D, etc.
Oh well, a boy can dream.

Which 3D graphics program would you recommend (best rendered resoluton, format, etc.) to create a 3D "movie" that can be used in Motion to add emitters, etc.?
I have some experience with Poser and Daz Studio, but never got into the animation aspects of them.
I am looking to make a trailer for a play I'm in (EQUUS) and would like to use a rocking horse from the Daz 3D site as the main focal point, around which text would be added.

Thanks again for any advice.
Michael

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:12:07 pm

Boris fx have a 3G plugin for apple motion. See my review at http://www.embryo.me.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]