FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac so sloww after Motion export

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah Smith
iMac so sloww after Motion export
on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:39:12 pm

Hi,

First time poster, but I've been browsing creative cow for quite a while.

I'm having serious performance issues after I export a motion file. I use a 24" iMac with 2.8ghz CPU and 4gbs of RAM. I'm working in a 1080 60i preset and export a AIC .mov file. I don't have any problems when I work with smaller motion projects that aren't so intensive but anytime I export larger projects the entire computer chugs so bad after the export is done that I have to reset.

Resetting the computer solves the problem, but its really annoying to have to reset the iMac 3 or 4 times a day just to get my performance back.

Is this Motion's way of poorly handling memory management?

By the way it takes about 5-6 mins to export a 20sec project.

Return to posts index

zak peric
Re: iMac so sloww after Motion export
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:09:02 pm

Have you tried deleting the preferences of motion. Also when is the last time you have resetted Parameter PRAM. I can not say that I have the same problem, I work with motion quite a lot. Only thing I have to do when I see that Motion slows things down is to save and restart Motion. Or if things goes very bad delete the preferences of Motion.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:21:00 pm

After the export, try Mark > Ram > Clear RAM Preview to free up your RAM cache.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Micah Smith
on Dec 23, 2009 at 11:15:45 pm

EDIT:

Resetting the PRAM made ALL the difference! Thank you, not only is the system much snappier and fast, but there don't seem to be any issues with it bogging after export.

I didn't think that resetting the PRAM would be necessary, I assumed that clearing out the PRAM only needed to be done if you MUST, not as regular maintenance.

Thanks again!

I've been clearing the ram preview already and unfortunately that doesn't do it. Even when I check the activity monitor it takes a few minutes to bring the ram back from an active state to available, the whole system still chugs until I restart.

Return to posts index

Micah Smith
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:11:01 pm

I'm back! Still having issuess with the exporting movs from Motion. For example I export some footage run through optical flow, when its completed the export, everything in the OS runs so sloowww.

I tried resetting the PRAM(only helped for a short while) and I clear the RAM preview often, but this does not resolve the issue. I believe I've even trashed my prefs at one point. Nothing makes a difference unless I reset the computer, which is a huge pain to have to do that multiple times a day. Any advice would be much appreciated.

note: I did use a program called iFreemem that cleared out memory not being used but still stuck in a active state. I believe the problem lies somewhere here.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]