FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 4 for Compositing

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Barber
Motion 4 for Compositing
on Dec 22, 2009 at 2:57:40 am

I was wondering if someone could let me know if Motion 4 is a good choice for doing compositing or if I should instead look at Fusion, After Effects or some other package. I am looking at getting Final Cut Studio and really hope that Motion can do what I require. I will be compositing shots from Cinema4D into live action footage. I would really appreciate any advice people could give me on what package would be best. At the moment for compositing it seems to be Digital Fusion, After Effects or Motion, and if Motion is ok at compositing then I will just get Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion 4 for Compositing
on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:05:45 am

I think it's a great compositing tool but only when you use it with Conduit, which provides a nodal compositor right inside of Motion - this way you have a real-time nodal compositing application:
http://dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=conduit2

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 23, 2009 at 6:11:26 pm

I would second Mark's recommendation for Conduit. Motion (or FCP or even AE) + Conduit is almost a replacement for Shake. Plus, Motion (and FCP) can do a lot of things that Shake cannot, or easily do things that are hard in Shake. So adding Conduit is a very powerful step up in what you can do, and opens up may new options for how to do it.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:24:00 am

Also note that Cinema 4D 11.5 can export cameras to motion, you also have mocha for Final cut Pro which is quite cheap but good tracking software.

Return to posts index

Randy Little
on Jan 3, 2010 at 4:22:23 am

Motion might be ok for small comps but its not a hard core comp package even with conduit. Motion also lacks A LOT of the higher end tools you are going to need like real keyers. The keyers in Motion are horrible and it doesn't easily allow for doing channel op type keys. So unless you think a Key is just dropping in a single keyer motion isn't going to do the job. Its hard to do compound channels and such in motion that are still hard in AE but at least it does them. If you are going to be doing real commercial or film comping you really should look at Fusion or Nuke. Also there are some pretty basic tools missing from motion like either a spline or grid warper. fusion and Nuke will allow you to read in real 3d geo and cameras for doing projections on to actually 3d geo. Motion is fine for basic animation and basic comping but its no high end tool and its can't even do some basic things shake can do. It just depends on if you are really comping or just layering files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]