FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion HD performance issues

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark wonderlin
Motion HD performance issues
on Dec 21, 2009 at 2:41:12 pm

I'm using a Canon XH-A1 HDV and when I send to motion the video won't play in real time. The video/audio are off sync and it's painfully slow, it reminds me of the days I had a Dell it's so bad.

I'm using an Intel iMac with 4GB of RAM and the HD footage I'm working with is about 15 seconds. I'm spending more time waiting and guessing on time syncing with effects that makes editing a nightmare.

I tried changing to third quality and un-checking field rendering, lighting, & motion blur but it's just not playing smooth.

Any suggestions? Hardware, software, performance enhancements?

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
Re: Motion HD performance issues
on Dec 21, 2009 at 6:34:44 pm

How much footage are you talking about? Motion tries to load your entire project into RAM so that could be part of your issue.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:26:31 pm

Also decoding HDV on the fly requires a lot of processor time, try making it into DVCPROHD or ProRes first.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

mark wonderlin
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:41:28 pm

I'm only working with about 15seconds of HD footage at a time. I'm really just apply a simple variable time remap and putting on a few graphics. I have 4GB of RAM on my imac is that sufficient? I re-captured in pro-res but it made little to no difference.

Is my processor not powerful enough? The capture scratch where the footage is pulling from still has about 500GB left of storage. Would upgrading to leopard, getting a RAID, a new iMac, or some simple setting changes correct this? It's near impossible to work when I'm fighting against data rate, I literally have to guess on timing.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:59:45 pm

Are you using optical flow in your time remap? That would certainly slow things down. If not, consider doing your time remapping in FCP, then just add the graphics in Motion.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

mark wonderlin
on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:03:19 pm

I just have frame blending to "none" in Motion but I'll see if doing the time remap in FCP then adding graphics in motion helps.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:04:41 pm

Motion gets speed from the graphics card- the iMacs are slow in this regard. Not much you can do other than upgrade.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

mark wonderlin
on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:02:28 pm

Noah: What are your thoughts on upgrading? Would the new iMac be ok? Is the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo sufficient or is the 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 the better option?

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 22, 2009 at 5:11:12 pm

It's the graphics card where the iMacs let you down.
Check the minimum specs for Motion and compare them VERY carefully against what's available for the iMacs. Spencer likes his lappy for his Motion work. Myself, I can't imagine working on a portable.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]