FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make alpha mask in motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mullennix
How to make alpha mask in motion 3
on Dec 20, 2009 at 7:54:39 pm

Hi - I've created a short (10 sec) animation in Motion 3 and am trying to create a black and white alpha matte of the main object to follow. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do: http://tinyurl.com/yczecdc

How do I create the black and white mask of the animation? Thank you in advance for your help!

Bryan

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
Re: How to make alpha mask in motion 3
on Dec 21, 2009 at 4:44:38 am

Add the Levels filter to your object and click on the triangle to show to histogram info. In RBG choose Black Out and set it to 1.00 and White In and set that to 1.00

It will instantly take what ever object (your animated butterfly) and make it White. Stick a black background (color solid) in a new group. and export that out now you have a alpha matte.

I am actually going to record a quick video tutorial on this, sometime this week.

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:48:35 am

Hi there,
Maybe this would be better why to create alpha, only because if you have lots of assets and groups you would need to apply levels filter quite a few times.

Do the following:

1. Go to VIEW then Channels then select ALPHA
2. Then go to FILE Export click on the option button (this will take you to EXPORT OPTIONS dialog box). Then select output and unchecked use current project and canvas settings.
Where it says COLOUR change from colour + alpha to ALPHA.

Close the window and render the movie. Anything you have in your project will be rendered as a ALPHA ONLY or B&W. Then bring back the movie and use it as What ever you want. This will render only B&W information.

I hope this helps.

I will make a video tutorial how to do this and post it on my website. http://www.embryo.me.uk
This will be available later on in the day.

Return to posts index

Douglas Odoh
on Oct 13, 2011 at 12:29:03 pm

Hi Zac,

This worked beautifully for me and now I have a clip alpha matte.

So how do I create a wipe matte in Motion so I can use the alpha transition in FCP7?

Thanks,

Doug

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 21, 2009 at 12:44:16 pm

As I have said earlier, here is a tutorial which explains how to make Matts in Apple Motion.http://embryo.me.uk/wp/2009/12/21/creating-matts-in-apple-motion/

ENJOY....

Return to posts index

Bryan Mullennix
on Dec 22, 2009 at 12:03:33 am

Thanks guys for the replies. Both solutions worked very well and were just what I was looking for! Thanks again for your help and time!

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Dec 27, 2009 at 3:50:00 am

Great tutorial I couldn't figure out how to do this in motion but its not working... after my clip is exported its completely black for 2 sec and completely white for 5. any idea why? im using motion 3

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:26:38 am

Can you please give me more info. My tutorial is very easy to achieve, you have to make the movie then you export it. That is all. You need to tell me please a little bit more about your project please.

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Dec 27, 2009 at 4:00:03 pm

Theres not really much more to tell I'm not working on a project I just took a 6 sec .mov file very similar looking to the one you used. I changed alpha+color to just alpha and after exporting the clip 2 seconds of my clip where completly white and the rest black.

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Dec 27, 2009 at 5:14:07 pm

Can you upload the file. Let me have a look. use the floppy disk icon to upload the file please.(this is in the message section)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]