FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion, Toon Boon Studio, TB Animate, or something else?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Motion, Toon Boon Studio, TB Animate, or something else?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:41:15 pm

Hi there, I am planning out a new project, and could use some advice and figured this might be a good place to ask this Q:

I have an old comic strip I did for a newspaper years ago, and now I want to take that source (layered PSD) and make an animated short. It's all 2d black and white. My design goal is to do something like the original Micky Mouse, but modified a bit.

Money for software is no object (within a Nepali limit), as this one is sponsored. I used Toon Boom -must have been v3 before - to do another 2d project, and for 3-D, I usually use C4D combined with Poser. But I don't think I will get the effect I am after there. Motion seems like a good choice (I suppose) but worried about what I have read/seen re: lip sync. Toon Boom has Studio 5 now and something else called Animate (which looks very cool). But has anyone here evaluated all of these before for digital cartooning?

Well, looking forward to your suggestions!
Jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Motion, Toon Boon Studio, TB Animate, or something else?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:55:20 pm

Does not sound like an ideal Motion project. I'd check the Toon Boom demos first.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:27:06 am

Thx Noah! I was hoping someone would tell me that Motion is better then Toon Boom for pure digital 2d cartoons, but that's just because I don't like the toon boom v3.5 interface, which I have now running in Snow Leopard, and it actually works, albeit without a lot LESS of the features of V5.

Animate looks really interesting. The interface is not mickey mouse, even if that's what I want to animate, but the demo blows running on Snow Leopard, so it's hard to really test under current conditions.

I guess that's what I love about all the other packages that I have with an animation timeline (motion, c4d, fcp, ae, etc.) they all work flawlessly (ha!) on my macs. When something goes wrong, there is always the COW to help with these programs.

Cheers!
Jigs

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:50:47 pm

Well, just to close this out: I tried both TB Animate and TBS 5, and chose TBS5 for simplicity and cost. It does what it advertises to do, albeit with a hokey & sometimes baffling interface, however, it's not really that much different then Adobe Flash. This tool is for someone who has to scan in a lot of drawings and animate, or has layered PSDs or Ai files. There is very little in the way of effects, no plugins, etc. but it will allow you to rig 2d characters and animate them on a timeline. So I am busy doing that, and then bringing in clips to the FCP timeline as alphas and mixing with footage and effects there. Anyway, I would recommend TBS 5 to anyone who wants to animate a hand-drawn comic strip with a bare bones and goofy tool. Cheers!
jigs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]