FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fly/Zoom through transition Motion

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Anderson
Fly/Zoom through transition Motion
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:16:02 pm

I'm looking for the best way to replicate a fly through/zoom through camera move in Motion. I'm embedding a sample of what I'm looking for from the excellent "Did You Know?" presentation. (The effect appears both at the start and end of the clip). I'm new to 3d in Motion, and wanted to see if my thought process made sense in replicating the effect.

I've got two text layers, one at z=0 and the second at z=-4000. I use the Zoom Layer Behavior to zoom to the second layer, starting the behavior at the in point of the second block of text. This seems to work fairly well but the animation doesn't quite seem to match up and I'm still working on tweaking the camera's focal lengths and blurs. Placing the second chunk of text behind the first in z-space seemed to be the easier option rather than animating a zoom blur and sort of faking the transition by scaling the text.

I'm going to have some scenes where there are at least 5 fly throughs in a row, and while I think my zoom layer method is the fastest and easiest, just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions! If I get better, I may end up making a tutorial of some kind of this transition, because I've seen it used all the time but have seen very little information on how to do it!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Fly/Zoom through transition Motion
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:43:15 pm

Take a look at this tutorial created by Zak Peric:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/peric_zak/text_flyin.php

Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Chris Anderson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:43:09 pm

Can't believe I missed this in my Google searching. It does, but I think using the Zoom to layer actually makes things a bit easier. I'm still working through the easiest method, and even may make a tutorial myself out of it.

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:40:49 pm

I'd recommend upgrading to the new Final Cut Studio so you can use the Framing behavior in Motion 4, and add depth of field (the upgrade's only $299 for the entire suite).

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]