FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion DVD Tutorial

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Jeffares
Motion DVD Tutorial
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:13:19 pm

Just bought the new DVD tutorial for Motion by Stephen Smith called "Moving with Motion." Maybe I should be asking Steve these questions, but since I don't know how to contact him I thought you guys might be able to help me.

I have used Motion sparingly during the years and got this DVD to help me get up to speed. Please forgive me if I am asking basic questions.

In the DVD, Steve tells you to use certain F-keys and also use the I & O keys for marking ins and outs. For some reason these keys do not work for me although I believe they worked for me in the past.

I am using an external keyboard with my laptop, so this may be the problem or I don't have the right keyboard layout setup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Motion DVD Tutorial
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:19:57 pm

Jeff, thanks for purchasing my DVD. I hope you found it helpful. Go to your System Preferences. Then go to the Keyboard and Mouse. Click the Keyboard and check the F1-F12 checkbox. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Jeff Jeffares
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:32:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response Stephen.

That did give me my I & O keys, but nothing happens when I use the F-keys (even when I hold down the function key) or for example the command-2 key to bring up the Library or any of the other command keys you mention to navigate around Motion.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:48:46 pm

On your laptop you need to hit the "Fn" key with the F keys to make it work. If you want to program Motion to recognize the F keys so it doesn't change the brightness of the screen or what ever in Motion follow these steps:

System Preferences, Click on Keyboard, Click on Keyboard shortcuts, Applications Shortcuts, Add the Motion Applications, In the Give Title section make sure it is the exact title of what you want, Add the F key by holding down the Fn key and the F key you want.

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Jeffares
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:58:26 pm

Thanks Stephen. That should take care of my F-key problem.

I have now discovered that the command keys you speak of are different on my Motion. It must be the difference between Motion 3 & 4. For example: File Browser is not Command-, it is Command-4.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:20:33 pm

I just got on Motion 3 and 4, and Motion 4 on a laptop and "Command & 1" opens up the File Browser. I'm wondering if some of your short cut keys got changed. If you go back to the Application Shortcuts as described above you should have a list of key changes. Just change it back so the File Browser is Command - 1. Just like you would with the F keys. Or you can hit the "Restore Defaults" button. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Jeffares
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:29:55 pm

That took care of it! Thanks Stephen, I am looking forward to the DVD and this will certainly help.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:32:54 pm

Happy to help. You are always welcome to contact me directly if you like. I think it is best to use the forum because other people will have the same question you did and that way they can look up this post and find the answer as well. Best of luck and here is my e-mail address.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]