FORUMS: list search recent posts

Match Move- making objects stay put

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen Osborne
Match Move- making objects stay put
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:47:30 am

The concept: A bird flies into frame, holding an object in its beak and places the object on a tree, leaves the object there, and flies off to find another object.
The problem: I'm using match motion to have the bird carry in the object. This works fine, but as soon as the match motion behavior is timed out the object wants to jump back to it's original position which is where the bird picked it up. How can I get the object to stay on the tree where the bird left it?

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Match Move- making objects stay put
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:18:09 pm

Hope you get better advice as the day wears on. I think you want to use a linked behavior, not a match move/motion.

When stuck with this kind of challenge in the olden days. I would have used a copy (or clone) of the object and simply turn them on or off as needed. To accommodate that hack, I might have had an object in the foreground that obscures the switch slightly. But I've also done similar movement by deliberately stylizing the transitions between the moving objects and the static objects.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:40:35 pm

There are two ways to do it that I can think of. I'll give you the one that may be easier.

Apply the Match Move behavior. Make the length of the Behavior so it ends where you want the tracking to end so the image stays put. Do everything like you would normally do. Watch it to make sure you like it and as you said it will jump back to it's original place once the Behavior is no longer present. Here is the trick. Then you drag the Match Move Behavior back out. You will see a keyframe symbol on the behavior and that it ends where the behavior used to end. That will hold it in it's last position so it doesn't move. I hope I explained this well enough.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

ellen Osborne
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:33:11 pm

OK I'm trying to do this, but not having much luck. I found the keyframe on the object, but not on the behavior. When I drag the behavior back out longer then where I want it to end, then the object just wants to follow the bird around again. I tried dragging the keyframe out as well but that didn't seem to work out either. Any other ideas. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:52:30 pm

It works, I'm sure I'm not explaining it well enough. But for now do this. Track your object. Select the behavior and go up to Object. Then Choose Convert to Keyframes. It will convert your Match Move Behavior over to keyframes. In the keyframe editor, deleate all of the keyframes after the point in the timeline where you want the image to stay put. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

ellen Osborne
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:02:06 pm

Hey thanks for the "convert to keyframes" trick. I know that will come in handy.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:05:10 pm

Happy to help. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

ellen Osborne
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:56:23 pm

I found something that I think worked. I was fooling around with linked behaviors (which seems pretty similar to match move). At the end of the behavior, I moved forward one frame. Of course the object wanted to jump back to its origin, but I turned on keyframe recording and moved the object back to where I wanted it to stay and it seems to be staying.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Match Move
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:41:12 pm

> I found something that I think worked.<

Excellent. This makes you a Motion Ninja.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]