FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animated psd layers of one photograph

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Philip
Animated psd layers of one photograph
on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:19:44 am

Hi all! I saw a tutorial on how to take one photograph in particular a single person on a busy background and masked out the person and cut him out and put on layer two while the main photo is on layer 1. Then animate the background to go out in z space while the person will be drawn closer to view. I've seen this a lot in more updated documentaries.

How do you do this?

I hope you all know what I'm talking about. :)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Animated psd layers of one photograph
on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:21:43 pm

Exactly what you wrote is how it is done. I prefer to cut the photo into segments in Photoshop because it has a clone tool so I can pant in some of the cut out parts so when I do the move the cut out parts don't show. Then I bring the Photoshop document into Motion and make sure it imports all the layers. Separate the layers z distance and then add a camera. Animate the camera and your in business. Bet of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Frank Philip
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:17:36 pm

Hi Stephen!

I had a feeling you were going to post first. :)

I think cloning the background where the cut is located is the missing part for me. I guess clone after the cut? Also, I tried this yesterday but I might have done something wrong. I was creating a "Quick Mask" and while having it selected I made a copy of the 1st layer which put the selection on layer 2, but layer 1 was still intact with the selection I made still there and not cut out.

It's funny because I saw a video tutorial somewhere like Ripple Training or something. I actually came to creative cow first and looked up all the videos you've done!! You didn't cover this in your "Money Making Graphics and Effects for Final Cut Studio 2. :)-

I like your "Catholic Community Services" video you have on your website. Nicely done, and that's the sort of thing I'm trying to do. I love how you put the bar/text graphic behind the church and the background. Did you create placeholders prior to adding the photos? Just curious if building it that way is less cpu intensive versus trying to build it with large jpegs.

Thanks again Stephen!

Frank

http://www.greenirisstudios.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:47:40 pm

Hey Frank,
I hope this article on Quick Masks will be of help to you: http://www.grafx-design.com/12photo.html

I cut then clone. Sometimes I place it in Motion then do the animation and see what areas I need to clone so I don't have to clone stuff I don't need. The trick to that is to never change the layer order of the PDS or it will reconnect the changes wrong.

I'm hoping to have a tutorial about the 2D photos given a 3D look by the beginning of next year. I hope you like it.

As for the Catholic Community Services video, I make my photos 72 dpi which cuts down on the size. And I've found that I don't need to make the photos bigger then 2 to 3 times the size of my canvas unless I"m really zooming in. Run a test on a smaller size and see if it looks right.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Return to posts index

Frank Philip
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:55:16 pm

I think what I need help with is what process or button do you press to send the selection to layer two while layer 1 has a cut out seeing the checkered background. I can mask to my hearts content but never moved things to other layers before. I've typically masked things for photography not videography. So must of what I've masked was for repairing problems or enhancing.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:10:55 pm

In Photoshop, once you have created you quick mask and re-click on the quick mode button it changes your pink colored paint areas into a mask. You can select any layer and hit the delete key and effect any layer selected if you want. If you want the opposite selection go to Select, then Inverse.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Frank Philip
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:53:23 pm

Hi Stephen!

Does your new "Moving with Motion" deal with this at all?

Return to posts index

Frank Philip
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:13:49 pm

Stephen,

This is what I have so far. Let me know.

I said transparent area but forgot that jpeg removes it and places white instead.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:03:30 pm

Great job on the photo! It was cut out very well. If I may make a recommendation. You may want to consider keeping the kids on the car and the road together. So the cut would be where the sidewalk and road meet. Take a look at the "Wolverine" Title open at 3:15. Look at how they cut the ground to give it the look.

To answer your question, yes. Use the Clone Took to blend in the cut out of the kids so when you do you move you won't see a big hole. Or if you don't want to Clone make the size of the kids bigger then it really is so the hole can't be seen. Hope this helps.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:50:00 pm

Frank,
Sorry, Moving with Motion does not cover this. However, I still think it is worth owning. You will learn lots of valuable tricks of the trade. If you haven't already, check out the Moving with Motion commercial. Of course, at the end of the day I'm a little biased on this subject matter.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]