FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating a change in color of type from bottom up

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamish McCollester
Animating a change in color of type from bottom up
on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:47:45 pm

Hi, All...
Pardon me if this is a rudimentary question...I'm trying to do something that seems simple, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Here's goes:

In a title sequence for a trailer I'm working on, I have two animated elements in play and I want them to interact with each other.

-- There's a line of red text created in Motion's type tool using Helvetica...tracking animation slowly separates the space in between the letters
-- As this is happening, a red rectangle (same color as the text), that was created using Motion's rectangle tool, pushes up from the bottom of the frame and intersects with the type.
-- Since the color of the type and rectangle are the same, I want to make the type change color to white as the rectangle intersects it...so the type would essentially turn white from the bottom up as though the red rectangle was erasing the color from the text as it intersected.

Any ideas on a quick and easy way to make this happen? I'm sure there's something I could do using a mask of some sort, but as a Motion newbie, I can't intuitively figure it out. The key thing is that the white gets kind of painted on to the text from the bottom up, rather than all at once.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Return to posts index

Mark Coleman
Re: Animating a change in color of type from bottom up
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:56:24 pm

Hi Hamish,

All you need to do is duplicate your text layer, make that text white, then control click on the layer and add image mask. Then click and drag your moving red rectangle layer onto the Image Mask in the layers palette. It will by default then become invisible, but you can make it visible again by clicking on the little square to the left of the Rectangle layer. Make sure your Rectangle layer is beneath the text and bingo.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark

Mac Pro
2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz RAM
Final Cut Studio 2
Motion Graphics | Compositing | Grading

Mac Pro
2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2 GB 667 MHz RAM
Final Cut Studio 2