FORUMS: list search recent posts

Never sure which options to choose for rendering - Motion 3

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter dunphy
Never sure which options to choose for rendering - Motion 3
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:20:21 pm

Hi Guys

Motion 3 query - Although I always choose Best Render Quality, I'm never ever sure which of the following I should choose when exporting a Motion project to a QT file. Have tried searching forum archive but couldn't find a thread that clarified the 'when and when not to use' of the below options - if anyone could point me to a relevant past thread about these options I'd really appreciate it!

lighting
field rendering
motion blur
frame blending

Peter Dunphy

2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4870, ATTO ExpressSAS R380, Sonnet D800 Raid 5

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
david bogie
Re: Never sure which options to choose for rendering - Motion 3
on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:07:15 pm

[peter dunphy] "lighting
field rendering
motion blur
frame blending"

These are options you need to use when you know why you want to use them.
If you have lights on in your scene, you want to render them. If you have no lights (and no camera) you do not need to activate lights. why does the switch exist at all? I render without lights for preview purposes.

Fields are necessary for interlaced formats. You must know if your production format is progressive or interlaced.

Motion blur enhances the illusion of movement by simulating image smear caused by an open shutter. You get the illusion at the expense of rendering time.

Frame blending is only necessary if you have video clips in your scene and even then you don't need it unless you've changed the speed of the clip. Sort of.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
zak peric
on Oct 29, 2009 at 7:28:24 am

Just use animation codec + alpha if you have alpha channel if not use animation codec millions of colours. This is the best codec for best quality. Also 4444 is a very good codec to use as it supports alpha channel but gives you smaller file sizes. Use always BEST from the render window, if you want additional motion blur then switch it on in render view. Be advised it takes much longer to render with motion blur on.

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:05:55 pm

Brilliant David and Zak thanks very much for helping me understand!

All the best!

Peter Dunphy

2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4870, ATTO ExpressSAS R380, Sonnet D800 Raid 5

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:54:57 pm

Quick question

If I shoot with a Canon XHA1 in 50i (PAL)

I import it as HDV to ProRes 422

in Motion should I tick field rendering 'on' when I use this ProRes 422 video?

My Output format is standard PAL DVD to be viewed in progressive television sets.

Peter Dunphy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]