FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion as a time saver tool...do you feel me?

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Geiger
Motion as a time saver tool...do you feel me?
on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:38:06 pm

This is just kind of a "my two cents" post but lately I've done some projects where I made elements in Motion to import into AE and it saved me boatloads of time...

Things that take two minutes in Motion as opposed to 10-15+ in AE:
semi-opaque heads up displays
tech-y moving shape layers
Backgrounds (the kind with particles, noise and shapes, not just a ramp)
lower thirds

Text, however simple, I find much easier in AE.

Motion seems to have a very bouncy 'Apple-y' sheen to everything it spits out which is why I never mixed the two before, but now I can see how motion is good for the extra flair you need to add to more involved graphics projects in a time crunch.

Anyone else used this workflow??

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Motion as a time saver tool...do you feel me?
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:11:39 pm

Sure do it all the time - create fancy background elements from the particles in Motion, export with alpha, and do the main composite in AE, which I have worked with since v2.

I would Love to do more work in Motion, but I just don't trust it after several crash episodes and corrupted project files. Also I need to be able to copy and paste keyframes!

- No Parking Production -

Finalcut Studio2, Dual G5, Kona 2, ioHD, X-Raid

Return to posts index

Matthew Geiger
on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:18:28 pm

Yeah those are my biggest complaints as well, you can't trust it not crash once your comps start getting fairly involved, and the keyframe editor is not as intuitive as AE.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 30, 2009 at 3:04:24 pm

Yar, I share your enthusiasm.
The secret is being able to predict ahead of time which application will be appropriate for the job.

Yesterday I was doing a fairly simple quad split of photgraphs flying in from behind the camera, resting on the stage for a few seconds and then flying up and back into a quad. I could have done it in about 15 minutes in AE with easy control over the motion paths and eases.
Took me about 12 hours in Motion. It would taken much less but I thought I'd try behaviors. Then it took me a few hours to figure out can't use Beziers on motion paths unless you first go to the keyframe editor. then I found out having a layer or object selected in the keyframe editor does not select it in the canvas or timeline.
I hate Motion with an unreasonably deep yet obscenely satisfying passion.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Matthew Geiger
on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:05:14 pm

Exactly! It's so unstable and poorly thought out that it feels good to "use" it in the worst sense of the term and quickly get out of it (before it crashes) so you can turn around and show some respect to precision in your AE comps.

bummer it wasn't as intuitive for you as it claims to be, I don't blame you though, they really need to start form scratch with this program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]