FORUMS: list search recent posts

motion vs. after effects

COW Forums : Apple Motion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen turcotte
motion vs. after effects
on Oct 27, 2009 at 10:13:33 am

I'm deciding whether I should invest my time in the new motion 4 or if I should start learning after effects cs4. Are there any real benefits of using one over the other? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: motion vs. after effects
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:11:56 pm

Both programs are great and offer wonderful benefits. I think it depends more on what you would like to achieve. What would you like to do?

Check out this TV Show open and Commercial I did in Motion and that should give you an idea as to some things you could do in Motion.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

stephen turcotte
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:17:06 pm

I was thinking in terms of persuing a career in motion graphics. It seems that AE is the standard. I gravitate toward motion, but would that limit me in the job market?

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:26:47 pm

Most shops own and are very efficient with both for reasons that can be researched easily. However, if you do not understand the differences between the projects or your clients' needs, the decision is more complex. There are three possible answers:
1. If you own CS4, you must learn how to use After Effects. If you do not already own the suite, you do not need it unless you require specific tools from Adobe.
2. If you already own FCS3, you must learn Motion.
3. If you do not own either package, figure out how you're going to bill your clients for your work and then figure out what they want and then decide where to spend your money.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:16:24 pm

[stephen] I was thinking in terms of persuing a career in motion graphics. It seems that AE is the standard. I gravitate toward motion, but would that limit me in the job market?

I would agree that AE is the standard and would be very useful for someone perusing a career in motion graphics to learn. If you don't currently own AE and want to learn Motion more you will not be wasting your time. They are similar in how they function. Learning Motion was real easy for me because its user interface is close to AE. I personally don't hire anyone editors because they can use a program. I can teach an editor FCP but I can't teach them passion for the job. The last editor we hired never used FCP in his life, but I would say he is one of the best FCP editors in our state. That is because I was looking for drive, passion and producing skills. I could teach him where all of the buttons where in FCP. Basically what I'm getting at is this: Your reel is what will get you hired and no one will know what programs the content was created in or care if it is really cool. Using both AE and Motion is easy to do and most people I know use both. If you only wanted to learn one program, I think AE will take you further down the road to a career in creating just motion graphics and is considered the standard by higher end shops. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out the Graphics Demo Reel I did.

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

zak peric
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:15:23 pm

Well, I think you need to learn both. But choose which one you need first. Maybe attack After Effects first as it is industry standard. Saying this Motion is pushing forward specifically in motion graphic field. I also believe that not only the program allows you to create amazing graphics. It is also important to say that a individual have a lot to do how creative something is. Please bear in mind that plugins are important but not crucial to decision making, let just say that almost all good plugins are now ported to motion.

Anyway I have seen Stephens work and it is amazing. He pushes the boundaries in using motion as a tool. Who is to say that you would not. Tool is just a tool, it is down to individual and their creativity to push the boundaries of creativity.
Maybe also see my http://www.embryo.me.uk website I make all my motion graphics with apple motion. (Please bear in mind I also know After Effects).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:22:28 pm

I'd say figure out which app you do well with and build a nice reel. Personally I don't think you can build a career on knowing Motion alone. Knowing After Effects could be a career- at certain types of post houses- mainly TV commercials and music videos. If you want a career in feature compositing you need to learn something more like Shake or Nuke.

But that said, a great reel created with AFX alone can get your foot in the door and lead you to possible additional training in something more. For example, many of ILM's compositing tools are in-house creations you can't get training for anywhere other than by working at ILM. Nuke used to be Digital Domain's proprietary tool and so on.

Point is, it's not a learn one app, start comping big movies kind of job. You get great at the art of compositing and slowly work your way in.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:14:38 am

I think it depends a lot on what you want to do. The good and bad thing about AE is that it's a great motion graphics tool that's good for VFX work and okay for compositing. I don't know much about Motion, but I get the sense that's mostly used for motion graphics. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Another thing to consider is that there is no one tool that everyone uses to the exclusion of everything else. If I had to start my career from scratch today (in VFX), I would still learn AE, but I would also probably pick up Nuke, Fusion, Toxic or Inferno. I might also consider learning some Maya or Lightwave... Boujou, PFtrack or Syntheyes would also be pretty high on my list. If I were to start a fresh career (in motion graphics), I would learn AE without a doubt... and I would certainly learn Cinema 4D for its MoGraph module along with Syntheyes and Mocha from Imagianeer Systems.... but those would be my choices. I'm sure others feel differently. :-)

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]